Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I've been trying to get this going for the past 2 years, and I finally got a ZX3 so I can start my project! What I am going to be building is going to be a my idea of a concept car, built as if you could have bought it from a Ford Dealership back in 2000. I call it the XR2 SuperCoupe.

It is going to be a Zetec supercharged RWD Focus. It will use an RX8 transmission and a 03-04 Cobra IRS.

I totaled my supercharged ZX5 last July, luckily most of the parts were salvageable from the wreck. I've had boxes and boxes of parts in my garage. I had a supercharger from a Thunderbird SuperCoupe mated to my Zetec.

I just picked up this 2000 ZX3 Kona Edition Focus last week. It has over 230k miles on it, and I picked it up for $1100. It will be a great candidate for my build. I was looking for something that had the automatic windows and locks (for reasons that are staying secret for now, but I will get into later).

So I started swapping over my parts in the garage. I got my taillights swapped over, as well as my full blue SVT Interior. I actually had to do a lot of repair for the rear interior trim pieces as they all the mounting tabs were missing and some of the vinyl was coming up.

Now I'm working on getting my modified SVT gauges to work with the aux cluster. Got everything wired up last night but the battery died from me having the doors open too long, so I'll have to jump the car tonight to see if it actually worked lol. I'll post up the wiring diagram as well to get the SVT gauges to work in a non-SVT Focus if anyone else is interested.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Don't bite off small chunks, do ya? Quite a project planned, I'd be wondering if you didn't have pieces on hand and past experience to draw from!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
A little update on this project. I put everything on hold for about a month while I got my '15 ready for FocusFest by dumping way too much money into it lol.

Last night I finally got my custom SVT Gauges to work in my car. So the wiring diagram I came up with does work. I found out I couldn't get it to work because there was a bad connection in the splices I was using and they weren't connected properly so when I would move the wires around the gauges would light up for a split second. But I finally got them to work and I am super excited! I'm gonna have to try and figure out how to get that airbag light off though...

I also got the SAP diffuser installed on the SVT bumper. There's still a gap between the diffuser and the bumper, but it's pretty small and I don't think I can get it closed any more than it already is.

·
FUBARCUS
7,767 Posts
Good luck with the build! That wiring diagram is going to come in super handy. I've been putting of installing my SVT cluster due to not having a wiring diagram for the Aux cluster! Now I just need to get someone who understands electrical to help me wire it up.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, (I guess I forgot to mention this earlier) the diagram I posed in the first pic I could not get to work for the gauges. This could have also just been due to a bad electrical connection to where the aux cluster wasn't getting power, but I'm not 100% sure if the diagram is bad or if it was my error when testing it, so I'll leave it up there.

The diagram below is the diagram that I came up with to get the aux gauges working by wiring them into the light switch harness (and a few wires into the main cluster as well to get the oil pressure and cruise control lights working).

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good luck with the build! That wiring diagram is going to come in super handy. I've been putting of installing my SVT cluster due to not having a wiring diagram for the Aux cluster! Now I just need to get someone who understands electrical to help me wire it up.
Yeah I tried to make something that was easy to read, even for people who don't know much about electrical stuff. All the diagrams that I'd looked at to try and get it to work were poorly drawn and made no sense to me (and I do a lot of electrical wiring lol) and I couldn't get them to work. So I came up with these diagrams by comparing the wiring schematics from ford from an SVT vs non-SVT Focus and just kinda got it figured out lol.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a few people ask about the gauges and I realized I never really talked about them. I had 2 sets of SVT Gauges so I followed the steps from this thread ( http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/svt-interior-mods-upgrades/244511-how-change-svt-gauge-color.html ) to make my own custom gauge face and change quite a few things that I didn't like about the SVT gauges.

I didn't like how the odd intervals were bigger (30, 50 etc.) so I switched it so the even numbers were bigger. I also hated the font used and used something I felt was more sporty and suited the car.

I also did a couple fun things, like I moved the red 55mph tick to 100mph, removed km/h, changed "Premium Fuel Only" to "Race Fuel Only", and also changed the fuel level from 0, 1/2, 1/1 to a normal E, 1/2, F because it bugged the shit out of me lol.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hey Guys,

I've been trying to get this going for the past 2 years, and I finally got a ZX3 so I can start my project! What I am going to be building is going to be a my idea of a concept car, built as if you could have bought it from a Ford Dealership back in 2000. I call it the XR2 SuperCoupe.

It is going to be a Zetec supercharged RWD Focus. It will use an RX8 transmission and a 03-04 Cobra IRS.

I totaled my supercharged ZX5 last July, luckily most of the parts were salvageable from the wreck. I've had boxes and boxes of parts in my garage. I had a supercharger from a Thunderbird SuperCoupe mated to my Zetec.

I just picked up this 2000 ZX3 Kona Edition Focus last week. It has over 230k miles on it, and I picked it up for $1100. It will be a great candidate for my build. I was looking for something that had the automatic windows and locks (for reasons that are staying secret for now, but I will get into later).

So I started swapping over my parts in the garage. I got my taillights swapped over, as well as my full blue SVT Interior. I actually had to do a lot of repair for the rear interior trim pieces as they all the mounting tabs were missing and some of the vinyl was coming up.

Now I'm working on getting my modified SVT gauges to work with the aux cluster. Got everything wired up last night but the battery died from me having the doors open too long, so I'll have to jump the car tonight to see if it actually worked lol. I'll post up the wiring diagram as well to get the SVT gauges to work in a non-SVT Focus if anyone else is interested.
What do you want for that luggage rack? I noticed you removed it.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got a little work done this weekend. I got the Kaminari wing actually installed instead of just laying around in my living room. It really didn't take that long to install which was nice.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got my Ford Racing gauge pod in this weekend. Got all my gauges put in it. I was trying to decide whether to have it in the middle of the car, or on the left side, but I decided to go with the left side of the vehicle. It looks cleaner and I won't have to worry about the gauges exploding in someone's face if the passenger airbag goes off.

I found a set of SVT mirrors for my car. I'm having an issue with the front part of the mirror on the drivers side though, because it sticks out from the body about 1/4 inch. Any one else experience this? It's only held on by one bolt which is odd. The mirror I took off had a bolt, and a screw that held the front of it in place. This mirror only has alignment pins.

I also got my SVT steering wheel swapped over with the 02+ airbag from my old car. Looks a lot better, but I didn't get pics of it.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pretty excited about the part I got in the mail last night! I found an old Focus Sport shorty header that will be perfect for my RWD build. I had a Focus Sport Long Tube header from my old build but it won't quite work with going RWD, so I was pretty happy to find this old school header.

It does have a crack in it that looks like was attempted to be repaired previously. I'll have to take it to a welder who can grind out the old weld and redo it, but then I'll be getting it all shined up and ceramic coated.

Here you can see where the weld is cracked

1 - 20 of 65 Posts