Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 298 Posts

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all... today i started a small amount of work on my first long term project on my car... wire tucking.

Wiretucking is where you remove panels from your car and any wiring you see, gets hidden within the body structures, to achieve alot of this you need to extend the harnesses.

I plan on running only a dash, door panels, and center console, and maybe a-pillar trims, the rest will be removed, and hopefully summer of 09, i will have a nice sheet of Liquid grey paint layed in the interior, so the inside paint will look just as good as the outside paint.

this will be a long project, so just hang with me. and with any good project, i will be sure to include ALOT of pictures.

questions comments?

here are pictures from today.

gutted hatch:

junk in the trunk, the rest of the rear panels, i havent removed the rear arm rest panels as of yet... but soon...

I didnt show how to remove the rear panels or anything, because enough people have done suspension enouhg to know how to take the rear panels out, and rear seat deletes.

but i have a little info below:

yesturday while driving i heard rattles, and i assume some of it is from these little buggers:

there are 6 around the rear area, 3 on each side holding the rear trim around the rear seat belts.

so what you do is get a pair of pliers, Leatherman FTW!
put your finger on the outside of the hole, and then attach the pliers to the other end and pull

now its pulled out, and hold your finger there so it doesnt drop into the body

and use a magnet or whatever to just slip it out, i used a magnet so i knew it wouldnt drop down

then after the clips were pulled out, i just used alittle touch up paint to cover any bare areas...
motorcraft OEM FTW!

i then noticed the tops of the struts and the strut plate are not protected the best, they had a few spots of surface rust, so i taped them off

and painted them black

oh, and thanks ford for the booger of sealant on my left rear wheel well.

thats it for now... thanks for looking, and feal free to subscribe, i will show and take many many pictures, because i know to have a good thread, you need lots of lots of pictures.

NA FTW!

questions, comments?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
So let me see if I have this correctly. Your going to tuck the wires, and paint, so you can eliminate having the panels that come in the car? At least some of them?

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its not really so i can eliminate them, its just with the panels removed it looks crappy with the unfinished paint and wires going everywhere.

i will be wire tucking the engine bay, but that'll be last sinse ill probably have to remove the entire harness from the engine bay so i can remove un-needed wires, for a/c, cruise etc etc. and i will be relocating the engine bay fuse box inside. mounting the battery above the air filter of my CAI, in the fender, it'll be an odyssey.

trust me, it looks good, and its a long undertaking project.

heres a honda with a wire tucked bay:

so it'll be mostly for show, but its a project i would love to under-take and it would deffinately make my car very unique, but ultimately, my car will be used on tracks for track days and autoX, my car is my toy, but also my DD right now, i cant wait for it to be my full toy in the future!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
me too, and when you do the bay send me a how to,lol. i want to also do this.

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
I love wire-tucked engine bays, but never heard of doing the whole car. Good luck with it!

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
Sounds like a cool project, the engine bay is especially awesome, kind of like a classic car where it's very simple looking and easy to work on [thumb]

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
nice project. i'm debating doing the same. i do have question for you tho. alot of the hondas when they do this remove the power strearing, and ac. you stated youll being removing the ac what about the power stearing? becuase i'm very interested in finding a way to remove it and the ac, so i would only be left with the altenator.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if you go to www.honda-tech.com search for power steering loop.

thats what ill be doing.. basicall to loop the lines where they go around the steering shaft then you put a breather tube at the center fitting.

so yes... i will also be deleting my power steering.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well today i had to work, but i went out to my car and took a couple of pictures.

heres a cool shot towards the front, you can kinda see my gauge cluster swap, its so hot! lol

the right side, the top of the shock painted

and heres the left side, you can see i removed the black plastic bracket that holds the plugs, it was rattling so i removed it, i may hold the plugs in place for now with the zipties with holes at the end and put a small nut on the studs where the black piece snapped into place

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
hey honhon i tried serching for it and was pulling up kits but not a how too. any help? and would one of those kits for the civics work for us?

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=563116

thats the guy's main page that he sells those little kits... maybe this weekend ill put my car on ramps and ill start looking at the rack more closely...

its a pretty easy concept. you just get a u-bend and loop the 2 fittings around the steering shaft, and then install a nipple and tubing on the center fitting in the rack and run it to a small resivoir, moving the steering wheel back and forth to bleed it and done.

and of course you'll need a smaller belt... thats why im kinda on the back burner about this, ill probably be doin it over the summer or maybe fall, im leaning more towards fall... and you can bet ill be doin a write up on it!

reason be im kinda leaning towards the fall is because im having a house built and ill be moving in late august, so it'll be nice to take a long 3 weekend and take my time and do the job right and make sure to take all pictures etc etc.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
No matter what you try and do there will be visible wires in the interior. The rear defrost for example runs up the drivers A pillar, you cannot hide it in the A pillar because it is welded shut at the top, same goes for the antenna on the passenger side. You can not hide the wiring for the hatch release, there just is no where for it to go, same goes for the tail light wiring, nothing hollow for it to slip into. Fuel pump and fuel gauge wiring, same story.

The only way an interior tuck is feasible is to remove exterior body panels, and I think that is a bit much to do just to hide some wiring.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
sweet thanx hon, so do you know if any one had removed there power strearing on a focus yet? or will we be the firsts? and iminhell i'm sure that if he really wants to do it he can find some way to get it done. i mean could you not drill a hole in the door sill and run wires threw there? even if he has to make them longer it will still work.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i plan on making the harnesses longer... there will be visbile wires at some points, but thats not an issue, sinse probably 95% of the wires will be hidden, so thats cool.

and 06roush.... from what i understand LCR (leocapaldiracing) plugs their racks after packing them with grease, so they have removed the PS, but we will probably be the first few that have done it this way.

·
Registered
467 Posts
honda-tech gots all sorts of info. even if u dont own a honda some of the info on there can help. im on there just cuz i like looking at pics lol. btw the k20 in the civic is sweet. cant wait to see how this turns out.

heres some pics from one of the honda-tech guys, i guess they can own a focus too lol.

wire tuck FTW!

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
wow i think i just shit my pants after seeing the pics of the white hatch. so clean. i want my dura to be that clean. its gonna take a shit ton of work tho.

1 - 20 of 298 Posts