Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So 2 months ago I was given this (insane) brilliant idea to take a Zetec motor and make it RWD. So I did what anyone "normal" would do I took this idea and began to Google how I could make it a reality! Some time into my search I found an old thread right here on FocusFanatics (don't remember link) where it was said that - you could use an OMC boat adapter which bolts up to a Zetec block on one side and then a small block Chevy on the other side. So with that in mind I started to scavenge for parts! Ideally, I wanted to use a Ford transmission so the T-5 was my go-to since I could use a Town Car drive shaft that shortened to fit, I will say this had its own challenges. For this build I also needed a small block Chevy Bell Housing that had the Ford T-5 bolt pattern. After some digging, I found out that a Jeep CJ7 bell housing was exactly what I needed! Few days later got the plate and it bolted flawlessly to the OMC adapter!
Shortly after I encountered a few slight step backs, but it was no worry. The diameter of the Input Shaft Bearing Retainer was a few millimeters too big and wouldn't fit inside the bell housing. This was an easy fix, I just took it to the machine shop and had it shaved down those few millimeters. So after a few days of waiting, I got the call from the guy to pick up my parts I was so excited to do my first mock up! All in all the fitment turned out to be pretty damn good. Also, I knew I needed to get the Input Shaft turned down to fit inside the Crankshaft but I wanted to see how off the fitment was before I sent it out to be trimmed. That said, it wont be long until I have the Input Shaft trimmed down and then test it with the Shaft and Clutch-Disk I plan to run.
Another issue we had, was when we went to drop the head onto the block. It was bumping on the adapter! This was unexpected but with the help of a grinder we trimmed part of the adapter plate, take off a little bit of material on the head, were able to clear the block and have 1-2mm of extra space. Keep in mind we had to be very careful and not to ruin the mating surface so cut into a water jacket. As of right now, this is up-to-date on the progress. I'll try to keep this updated as much as I can.
Below are all the pictures of the progress.

Now this is the car that will go under construction.
thumbnail_IMG_9094 by Nestor Rosario, on Flickr

thumbnail_IMG_9093 by Nestor Rosario, on Flickr

thumbnail_IMG_1305 by Nestor Rosario, on Flickr

thumbnail_IMG_9082 by Nestor Rosario, on Flickr

·
Registered
500 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well I know it has been a long time since I have updated this, I've been dealing with quite a bit lately. Switched to a new and better job, Hurricane Irma stormed her way through Florida and I recently took a trip to South Dakota, New Mexico and a couple other states. Unfortunately, I've had the project on the back burner for some time now, but I am starting up again! Just waiting on the arrival of some tools, and the power train should be set before the end of the year. So, I present to you what I have!
I have picked up a lot of very important parts for this build, and I'll explain, then just dump all the pictures below. To start off with a cool part, motor mounts! I was hoping to find something I could just bolt up so I looked and ordered these off a company in the U.K. for a reasonable price.
They seemed like I could just bolt them up to the existing holes in the block. When I got them they fit like a dream but an issue I encountered was that the A/C compressor plate would not fit. Simple enough, my solution was to cut off the part of the bracket that overlapped. It fit nicely but haven't mocked up the actual compressor yet to make it fit.
For Power Steering, I am using a Mustang Rack so I ordered a Bump Steer Kit to adapt the Tie Rods to the SVT Spindles which have been flipped to compensate for the new rack location. Now, I did attempt to fit the whole powertrain into the Focus however, it sat way too low for my taste. Given that, I decided to pull it out and have planned to raise the tunnel to make it fit. In which that might take place this week, so I hope to update you all on that very soon.
Another cool bit I was able to pick up was the rear end I plan to use for this build. I got lucky and found one while I was switching jobs. During the transition I drove my ass to South Carolina to pick it up and I do not think I could have been planned that out any better. It was perfect timing! The rear end is out of a 2003 SVT Cobra that was parted out due to fire damage. Not so great for the other guy but I did score a relatively new and mint part so that's a plus for me.
Last thing I'll cover is my power adder! Yes! I plan to turbo this bad boy. For this, I ended up trading my JRSC BBK for an old Turbo-Tom Turbo Kit, it's a nice kit however, most of it I wont need. I plan to use the turbo, waste gate and quite possibly the blow-off valve. So with that said, I'll have a nearly complete kit for sale soon! Now the plans that follow are to finalize the transmission. As of now, I still need a clutch disk and I have to send out the input shaft so it can be trimmed.
Next, I need to get my thermostat adapter plate made so I can re-route the coolant under the intake manifold because I didn't like any of the existing U.K kits out there.

I know I'm missing A LOT and I wrote this in a bit of a hurry but this is all I have for now. I have a lot more in the works but I shall update it as I do it. Enjoy the pictures posted below.

IMG_2240 by Nestor Rosario, on Flickr
IMG_2271 by Nestor Rosario, on Flickr
IMG_2286 by Nestor Rosario, on Flickr
IMG_2295 by Nestor Rosario, on Flickr
IMG_2296 by Nestor Rosario, on Flickr
IMG_2297 by Nestor Rosario, on Flickr
IMG_2298 by Nestor Rosario, on Flickr
IMG_2318 by Nestor Rosario, on Flickr
IMG_2323 by Nestor Rosario, on Flickr
IMG_2324 by Nestor Rosario, on Flickr
IMG_2405 by Nestor Rosario, on Flickr
IMG_2499 by Nestor Rosario, on Flickr
IMG_2967 by Nestor Rosario, on Flickr
IMG_2970 by Nestor Rosario, on Flickr

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wow, that's ambitious. I'm expecting a whole lotta fabricatin' to be necessary when you get around to finding mount-points for that rear subframe.

Regardless, it's a cool project (and more interesting than a collection of bolt-on accessories.)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Small update for the day. I did a mock up with the motor in the car got it where i want but need to come up with a better way to mount it. Have allot of parts on the way so i should have some new updates pretty soon.

IMG_3318 by Nestor Rosario, on Flickr
IMG_3314 by Nestor Rosario, on Flickr
IMG_3311 by Nestor Rosario, on Flickr

1 - 20 of 31 Posts