Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so heres the deal. I posted this already in honhon's wire tucking thread in the interior mods forum but this is a tuck on the D-tec (rat-nest) motor and I felt it would be relevant to post here.

So. Here goes.

This has been my very first electrical job EVER. Never ever done any electrical before in my life. Basically learned how to solder from a friend, went out, bought the parts and needed supplies and dove right in... Scary business for me. Almost wet myself a few times today. I thought it would take a couple hours but I have spent almost 6 hours so far digging through it all... Oh and BTW if Ford really wanted to cut cost they could find another way of routing and attaching those wires other than the freaking 100000000 lbs of electrical tape holding everything together......

So its not all done yet but I believe I have everything routed how I want it to be. I am running the coil wires down in the valley of the valve cover. Running the injector wires down along the bottom edge of the valve cover. Routed the main ground wire over to the right side of the valve cover where everything will collect. Ran those three oddball wires on the left side on that pillar thingy down under the fuel rail and so on and so forth. Much more organized now.

Basically just need to put loom or tape or something to clump em into nice groups to keep them tucked away slightly and solder all the grounds together as they are just twisted together for now.

Here are some pics as it sits now. Any suggestions would be awesome.

My one serious wet myself moment was when I tried to go start it up again after everything was connected. It just clicked... Realized I hadn't clamped down the negative battery cable after about 10 minutes of kicking myself. I can't even tell you the sigh of relief I felt when that baby fired up again. I think I heard the Ode To Joy playing in the background....

Anyway suggestions would be awesome. Especially on how to keep the wires in their "tucked" positions.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
When your running the wires to there new locations. Are you using a loom of some sort? or how are you bundling the wires so they stay put?
Thanks

·
Busy Monkey
4,461 Posts
That should look good when you are done! I'm actually doing the same thing right now.
I bought some braided self-wrapping loom and some heat shrink tubing, so after I have all the wires routed where I want them I'll wrap it all back up with new electrical tape and then put on the loom and use the heat shrink tubing on the ends. I'll post pics in a new thread after I'm all done and I've repainted my valve cover. Probably won't finish until next weekend.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am planning on wrapping it all up tight in some electrical tape and then putting some small loom over it.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
message honhon, i think he just ordered some of the braided stuff that the honda guys use. maybe he can give us a source on were he got his. and great work man. i always wanted to go that far with mine, i was just getting done with the drivers side fender when i got red of her.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmm i might just get myself some of that. In the mean time it will just be plastic black loom from an auto store but that is definately in the future. Looks good.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
not to thread jack or any thing but what kinda circut breaker is needed for a battery relocate? any one know?

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
awesome job jet...seems like more and more of us are getting into this lately!

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol agreed. I got so tired of opening the hood to just see wires everywhere. Starting to finish her up now. Will post pics tonight when its all done.

·
Busy Monkey
4,461 Posts
Mine has gotten as far as is it's going to. I quit now. No more fussing. It's good enough.
I've been working on it all day and my back is killing me lol

I'll post pics after I get the valve cover painted, probably next weekend.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So its all together but now I am having problems. Idle is really high and its throwing a code P0507 Idle Control SYS RPM Hi EXP. Whatever that means.... Someone please help me.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright so I figured it out. Here is what I posted in the tech chat area when I discovered to bring ya'll up to speed.

"Soooo I figured it out. Took out the Idle are control valve and was inspecting it. Touched that little o-ring inside and I almost @#$%ing shit myself when i did. A little peice of melted solder fell out...... OH MY GOD!!!!! @#$% me in the.... yeah.... Anyway runs like a champ now! So freaking happy! Note to self. When soldering with the intake off, cover the freaking throttle body!!! Stupid moron. I am so lucky it didn't make its way into the motor.... Gosh. What a moron. Ah well ya learn from your mistakes I guess. I am so happy though."

So yeah its running great now! So happy. I will take pics of it tomorrow after I fix a few aesthetic things.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here are the completed pics.

One thing that bothers me though is that horrible clump of wires to the right of the valve cover now though..... Any suggestions for that? Other than that I am pretty happy. Decided tape was enough with no need for loom.

And about that spot where the wires rubbed the paint of the valve cover... I was thinking of getting an aluminum plate and having it engraved with "2.3 Duratec" and then putting it on the bottom part of the valve cover over that spot. I have seen it once kinda like that on here but I forget where. Any suggestions on where to get this?

Thanks for lookin.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
get it done at a local metal working place...some sort of laser cutter or cnc machine...

and maybe you could get a large piece of loom to cover that mess, and then tape over it, would make it look uniform...

and it was user "zekester" who had the 2.3L on his although it was just mazda letters put on an unpainted part of the VC

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
looks like a great start, and i see your lawn mower fuel filter mod! lol

i bought some heat shrink and braided wire loom from.... www.cableorganizer.com

i did alittle rerouting after swapping my front bumper, i tucked the IACV wire

heres my braided loom and shrink wrap i did for my OIL psi warning light

1 - 20 of 54 Posts