Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Project fast cheap AND good

13K views 66 replies 16 participants last post by  IdleOne 
#1 ·
Have been putting off doing the body and paint but finally came up with a plan that doesn't consume all of my free time. Bought parts car, will use fenders and hood and driver door from exterior and the dash and some trim from the interior.

The plan is to minimize the down time on my daily driver svt. Have about five hours of work into it. The goal is to keep the man hours low. Calendar time is another story, all depends on my schedule.

Attachments

See less See more
#37 ·
completely filthy and needs some polishing. haven't had time at work to finish the last little bit. will likely do one panel at a time as time permits. Didn't put a pillar trim in because I plan to take the parts car stuff and use it. Much cleaner and no scratches.

#48 ·
Free mod day. Hate the 3rd brake light and the bulbs melting the housing. Had a leftover light from a new Lexus gx460 (big suv name?)

Anyway it didn't work as well as I wanted because I messed up when soldering the connections back together. Should have had 8 leds and not 6 but it still works. Had to cut it because it was too long. The width was identical. Edit..in driveway to wash...filthy.

Attachments

#50 ·
What a pain this afternoon. When I plasti dipped the wheels I just half finished them to see what black wheels would look like. Didn't cover very much.

Decided to strip that and use some vht wheel paint. Getting the dip off where it was heavy was easy but the spokes were too thinly covered like when I got the car.

Sanded out the worst of the curb rash and sprayed them with a few coats after I balanced the wheels first. Looks better and drives way better. They weren't that far out of balance but enough to feel it.

Tires look terrible from cleaners I used. Will shine them up tomorrow.

Attachments

#58 ·
The cheap part came through again today. The headlight seals have always just been the plastic pieces with 90 percent of the rubber gone. Had a leftover hood seal from a Honda Crosstour.

Cut it so fit, cleaned off the old rubber with a razor blade and used some 3m double sided tape and viola....doesn't look OEM but looks way better from the outside. No more big gap between hood and headlights. I can trim the excess rubber with the holes in it but didn't have any new razor blades on hand.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.