Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In case you didnt read, this is the first post.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181515

So my engine is completely dead, I had to replace it. Big ups to focusguy87 for turning me on to car-parts.com, it helped me find my replacement engine. I found an 02 SVT engine with 43K on it, and got it for 1000 with a 3 month warranty due to a mystery hole in the upper oil pan. They swore it wasnt from a thrown rod or grenaded and that it was external from an accident, either way im covered (fingers crossed).

I found a local riverside place called champion and they said theyed do it for 500. Car is currently in the shop, I miss it soo much.

I got a fix it ticket for my tint, how long do you usually have for those to be paid? received the letter over a month ago. Cant move car without tow, very inconvenient.

anything salvagable to sell on my old engine? valve cover aside obviously.

·
coooookie monster
7,570 Posts
What is dead about it

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Oil starvation...you may be able to salvage the top half of the engine depending on how warped it is. If you want to sell your valve cover let me know, I want one to powdercoat.

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
when you bought the new engine...did it come with the intake manifold and trans etc?? curious what parts would be up for grabs...I need the DSI motor

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
let me get the spark plug cover and valve cover!

Glad you got a replacement engine

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Came with intake manifold... and thats about it haha, no tranny, no spark plug cover. I can sell the valve cover once I get my hands on it. Anything I should look for liable to break on an older svt engine, DSI clip etc... ?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So apparently my clutch is done as well, so im replacing it while the engine is out to "save money" in the long run. I bought the LUK OEM replacement kit with flywheel for 470$ locally. Ill probably be selling a couple svt parts since fixing my car is sending me to the poor house. Ill be selling my Random Tech Downpipe and a VF driver side mount. Heres some more pics of progress:
<br>

<br>

<br>

·
Registered
698 Posts
Hopefully it all goes good. My car was just in the shop for a week and 2 days for a control arm. It killed me not having it.

I feel your pain...

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
dude look how clean all your suspension and shit is OMG....mine is horrible from my work...

ps: it looks like theres alot of tension on your front brake lines.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I have to agree with Dirtbrown, if it were my car I'd detail and wire tuck the engine bay while it was empty but I'm pretty anal about my car. Lol, good luck man, you've got a PM.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So im bouncing through a lot of options right now, the engine I bought has problems of its own and needs some diagnosing, maybe you guys can help:

It idles okay but has absolutely no power through the RPM range. Part of this is because my exhaust system is clogged up with oil but maybe its cuz of something else too. Also, there is an extremely bad rattling sound coming from under the valve cover. It is not a ticking but a rattling sound, coming from the side closest to the intake manifold. My mechanic thinks it may be a bad bearing for the cam or something, i agree, it sounds just like a bad bearing.

Hopefully its some common problem I have no knowledge of that can be fixed for under 400$ Any ideas?

EDIT: my axles were disconnected to make engine move easier, it think the brakelines just look tight because the arms are dangling freely.

·
Registered
240 Posts
did you check the brackets holding the cat i thought the samething when i heard mine but it turn out to be the cat-bracket.

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
Glad Car-Part worked for you, and glad to see you got a motor without spending an arm and a leg.

I can say the Exhaust System makes a big difference for loss of power. I used the stock SVT exhaust when I went turbo. The turbo would only spool to 6psi (WG was set to 11psi)

I found I had a clogged cat, replaced everything with a 3" exhaust system. Instantly had 11psi and about 50 more HP.

So if you have oil clogged in your cat that would def be it.

I agree with the bearing on the camshaft. Easy check would be to remove the valve cover and see if you can wiggle the cam shaft in the bearing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts