Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my car was sold with a single key and keyfob. Keyfob is easy, buy used or new fob, use programming method with one fob to program a second. The key is a little more complex. The system requires two individual keys (cannot be clones) to program a third. If the PO lost one of the original keys, you were typically SOL and had to bring it to the dealer to have another key programmed. You can buy genuine Strattec blanks (OEM supplier of these chipped keys) and have them cut, but the car will not start unless it is programmed. I stumbled upon a solution.

As it turns out, someone developed a program called Forscan which now has the capability to get into the BCM and access the PATS system. A laptop with bluetooth and a bluetooth ELM327 unit or a hardwired variant can now access the system and add keys or erase at will. I chose to add my new key, test it, then once I knew the system worked properly I erased all keys to get rid of the missing original and reprogrammed my two new keys. If you erase all, you do need two compatible keys to program and start the car again so the test was a precaution. Just thought I would throw out some of this information since some of it was quite difficult to find. Using forscan is well documented, but it took a lot of searching to discover it.

One thing that was difficult to find was the key blank information. There are two part numbers that look identical from Strattec. One says Ford on it, one says Strattec. As it turns out, that isn't the only difference. The Ford key, Part # 597602 is for OLDER vehicles. The chip in this key is NOT compatible with my 03 Focus, or any focus for that matter. The key head and blade is identical. Part # 691643 says STRATTEC on it and contains the correct chip for the Focus.

I accidentally ordered the first key, and after already getting it cut and letting the car read it, discovered code b1602, invalid key code format. I then ordered the second part number, ripped the chip out of the first already cut key to avoid interference and held the head of the proper key against the head of the first while turning it in the ignition so I could test it without opening the bag and getting it cut. The second key chip worked. I then ripped the chip out of the second key and put it in the first to end up with a working spare that said Ford instead of Strattec on it. This is unnecessary but since I already had both I decided it was worth it. The only indication that my spare key isn't an original now is that the key blade has "S" for spare inscribed on it, rather than "#1" or "#2" like the originals.

Figured I'd share since I spent so long figuring this all out and I didn't find any posts with part numbers, so hopefully this helps someone out. For the sake of information, the barcode on the key bag for the proper 691643 key is 691643ACB001. The INCORRECT key barcode is 597602AF1B001.

·
FUBARCUS
7,760 Posts
This sounds like a life saver for those with only one key. I heard Ford charges around $150 to make a new key if you only have the one...

·
Registered
26 Posts
This sounds like a life saver for those with only one key. I heard Ford charges around $150 to make a new key if you only have the one...
I just had to deal with this. Dealer quoted $37 for the key and $120 for programing. Said they needed the car for half a day. I found a small local locksmith to come to my work and do the key and program it for $75 total. It was a steal IMO. Took 15 minutes.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Thanks for the info. Definitely be looking into in the future.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All I did was take my ONE key from my used 2006 ZX3 to a lock shop and bought another key and remote....they programmed both in like a minute.
If they did it without physical access to the car, all they did is a key clone then. Basically you have two "#1" keys instead two uniquely coded ones. Makes no difference day to day but you're in the same position if you wanted to program a third.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If they did it without physical access to the car, all they did is a key clone then. Basically you have two "#1" keys instead two uniquely coded ones. Makes no difference day to day but you're in the same position if you wanted to program a third.
No car was there when they programmed it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Programming new PATS keys with OBD2 interface (USA)

Our used 2005 Focus came with only one ignition key. The local Ford stealership wanted about $200 for 2 new keys and PATS programming. Instead, I ordered 2 cut Strattec keys (photo sent to locksmith) for $34, an OBD2 to USB interface modified for access to the correct car network, and with FORScan programmed the new keys into my car's PATS system in 5 minutes. Beforehand I had read up quite a lot on instructions and caveats to make sure I didn't mess it up (there are a few precautions to take).

If anyone needs more info just ask.
Leo

1 - 15 of 15 Posts