Focus Fanatics Forum banner

101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Just a quick update. Still trying to find a header. Had to push this thing around the garage so I could put my truck in as well. Had a bunch of tornados come through AL 2 weeks ago and some serious storms last night. Since I didn't want to start it without a header, this was a huge pita.

If I don't find something soon I may just take it to an exhaust shop, have them cut the tubes off the flange, then redo the whole damn thing..hahaha

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Just looking for a long tube header that's similar to the FC, unless I can find the SVT one with all the stuff needed to bolt up to my existing setup. If I can't find a used one I'll just get one from CFM.

·
FF Affiliate
30,672 Posts
There is a lot of SVT being stripped out , header should be easy to find , I am selling the SVT HFC and ORP again as well as the Flex with v-band

Tom

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
@psyco_1322 messaged me saying he had some stuff for sale so I'm just waiting on him for now. I'm (as usual) not in a hurry as there are so many projects going on.

As long as I get it ready for the road by July/Aug I should be fine. I don't really plan on making any passes with it until then and the tuning is going to take a while.

Are you going to Mexico this year?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Haha rock on man!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Good looking out, Tom. Got the header in yesterday and the rest of the stuff needed is on its way.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #111 (Edited)
Quick update. Got the pan off today and most of the windage tray bolts. It took like 30 minutes to get that thing off because of all the RTV my brother put on it lol.. There was sludge in the bottom of the pan. There wasn't when we originally put the engine in as I cleaned it well. I'm thinking it's from all the fuel that was being pushed into it. No metal shavings or anything, so that's a plus. I cleaned all the gunk out, got the RTV off (this took a long time, even with a wire brush + drill), and let it dry.

Think I'm going to change the trans fluid as well. I think there's a chance that the fluid accumulated some condensation from sitting so long. I thought RP Synchromax or whatever was supposed to be purple, but there's clear fluid leaking out. Maybe the dye is gone?

Also on the to-do list is to find a lower radiator support that actually fits. The one that's in there now is from an automatic and it simply doesn't line up. I may have one from a manual but will have to check. All else fails, I go to VA on the 5th and can hit up a junkyard or 2 there to get one.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #112 (Edited)
Another quick update - nothing has really been done to the zx3. Plans were put on hold after this incident. But, there's a bright side..

Went to VA a few weeks ago to spend time with family and pick up the Mustang. I was sitting still about 15 cars back from a stop light, having just left a friend's house and going to meet mom for dinner. I saw the guy coming up behind me lose control, told mom (on bluetooth - man I love the sync 3!!) that I was going to be hit, and bam. He hit me so hard that mom heard it over the bluetooth and two of the four 3000lb straps holding the Mustang on the trailer broke. The straps supposedly had a 5000lb break capacity, so yeah. So far, total estimate is around $12k damage to the truck. The first new vehicle I'd purchased since the zx3. Got it in Dec 2016. [bawling]

Anyway, I'm fine and so are the other occupants of all the vehicles involved. My buddy and I pushed the Mustang back up on the trailer (it'd gone backwards about 1.5ft after the straps broke, even with it in park and the e-brake on) and I limped it to a parking lot to assess the damage. Now it's just a waiting game for the zx3. I have to tow the focus to get some of the work done and can't do that without the truck/trailer.

bright side:

In the meantime, I found a killer deal on a Dart Iron Eagle 327" short block for the Mustang. It's a 3.25 stroke with stock 4" bore and billet main caps, 1200hp crank/rod setup with L19 rod bolts and ARP studs, JE/SRP pistons, custom cam, Canton IE hand welded oil pan with drain bungs, internal balance ATI damper, oil filter relocation kit, water pump, and engine stand.

The guy also talked me into getting the intake manifold stuff he has: EFI Spyder intake, billet rails, 1000cc injectors, 90mm Accufab TB, all gaskets, hardware, and plenum spacer. I should have everything by the end of next week, if all goes well. If this doesn't make some steam with a 76mm CBB turbo and TFS 11R 190 heads, idk what will.

I'm limited to probably 750-850whp with that turbo, but that means I'll just have to upgrade the turbo setup to accommodate a PTE pro-mod 88mm [clap][clap][clap][clap][clap]. I'm also on the lookout for a built TH400 with SBF bell, converter, DS, and a fab'd 9" (or a really stout 8.8) rear end, if anyone knows of any available. I doubt the C4 will last much past 600whp in its current state. This new engine setup would be killer in a RWD focus.. hmmmm

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Quick update - I'll have everything back together in the focus this weekend. I need to change out a few things (ex: core support) but should be able to throw it all together this weekend. I'll have to run back and forth to find various bolts and nuts, a couple sensors, etc to make sure all is well when I go to start it up.

Tom - when you get a minute, can you give me a link to the software I need to download for the XCal 2? Maybe you have the installer(s) and can throw it on dropbox or email it to me? It's my username at gmail.com

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
I thought there was something else I had to get as well. I guess I'll figure that out when I get to that point haha.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Had visitors a few times and got sidetracked working on the mustang. Injuries don't help either.
ust got the correct windage tray gasket yesterday so all that's left is to clean up surfaces and throw it together. I should be able to fill it with oil this weekend and go from there if there are no more distractions. Once that's done I'll worry about getting the blower put back on it. I need to fix the TB side charge pipe. For now I'll just weld up a new section where we drilled for the nitrous bung. Long term plan is to make a new charge side since I now have a TIG.

Anyone have a recommendation for a WB O2 sensor? The one I previously used is in the mustang and maybe there's a better one out now. Oh, how about a source for v-band flanges and couplers? If I'm going to all this trouble I may as well make sure there are no leaks.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
I was wondering if there's a more updated version or another brand that's better. I'll check 'em out again.

Picked up a new oil pickup tube and gasket. I torqued the old one a little too much and the plastic cracked around one of the bolt inserts. No biggie - I was just test fitting things and needed the gasket anyway. FYI - it's a pain in the ass to find that gasket without the pickup tube.

I may or may not get it put together this weekend. Today the heat index was 107 and tomorrow is supposed to be well over 100 as well. A garage with no AC and 2 small box fans makes it hard to get things done. Today the garage temps were around 125-130. I can't wait for autumn.

101 - 118 of 118 Posts