Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 80 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I thought about it. The last time I spoke with ATI they wanted around 1700 for the C2 and couldn't upgrade my C1 to C2. With all the other stuff that had to be done I simply don't have that much cash lying around. I'll work with what I have for now and upgrade later if need be. I'm not in a hurry. haha

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Just an update since it's been like forever. Funds tend to determine build speed lol

The new engine and trans (w/ torsen) has been in for 2 weeks and we verified it starts/runs. My bro was about to put the knuckles & axles back in but noticed they were rusted together. We soaked them and not even a press putting 20tons would budge em. Had to buy new knuckles and getting the axles and a few other parts next week. In a few weeks we'll put on the blower and take her out for a few test rides to gather data. After that it'll be tuning and troubleshooting.

·
FF Affiliate
30,673 Posts
I wouldnt drive it with out a tune , on the new engine I would be logging the first start and make sure everything is safe on the new engine start up

Tom

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
It won't be driven without a tune. Once everything is back together and ready for the road I'll be getting with you for one.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Another update. It's starting to come around. I'm just waiting for Procharger to send me some bolts and spacers. They should be here by Thursday so tuning will commence shortly after. There are more than a few locals interested in seeing what this will do so I need to get it going sooner than later.

Also, I picked up another project back in January. It's a 1990 LX hatch 5.0. We've been putting tons of time (read $) into getting that car done. We were ready to take it on the street and noticed the AOD TV cable was all out of whack, missing brackets, etc. Since I have a C4 with 3200 stall in the garage, I think we're going to go that route. IF we do go with the C4 I'll have to change the rear gear since it's a 4.56. It's a stock block 5.0 with TFS heads and intake, F303 cam, bbk shorties/H-pipe and flowmasters. The plan is to put a little spray to it. A 351 Dart block will be purchased early next year with the plans on going to at least a 427.

Tom - if you read this, do you do tuning with the Megasquirt computers? I picked up one of those for the Mustang and, if you can, I'd like to bring it down there for a few tunes with the existing engine.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
For the mustang?? We've always had to buy chips (moates, sct, etc) and "extras".

The focus is staying with the stock computer, though.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I finally got the spacers in from Procharger. It'll be back together this week.

Tom - Once I get the blower mounted up and check the connections, what things do you want me to log during startup? You said use the first tune you gave me so I've already loaded that.

The mustang is coming along well. Had to plug up the return line to the oil pan (prev on a turbo car). We did end up going with the C4. I decided heck with it and bought the rebuild kit, a reverse valve body with transbrake, deep pan, etc. Got some small drag radials to throw on it, too. Should be a fun ride once we hit the giggle button at the track. Only things left to do on it are to wire up the fan, transbrake, nitrous arming and purge, and the neutral safety switch.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Back from the dead.

Between moving and the mustang things, I pretty much left the focus to sit for a while. There were/are more issues that need to be addressed and some of them will be done this week. For troubleshooting, I took off the blower and fuel rail/injectors and went back to a NA setup. Once the issues are fixed I'll throw it all back on. It's the tedious stuff that's annoying.. but it'll be worth it in the end.

Oh, and I have to get new tires. I was stupid and left the drag radials on the car..which are now dry rotted. Good thing the mustang and focus have the same bolt pattern!

On a side note, the mustang has come a long way. It's a stock block 302 with F303 cam, TFS 170 heads, TFS track heat intake, On3 7665 turbo kit, 340lph pump, 60lb injectors, built C4, 3.73 gear, full UPR chromoly suspension, 275/60/15 radials, and megasquirt v2. I've learned quite a bit about setting up VE and spark tables, troubleshooting IAC issues (OMG!!!), and other things with batch fire systems. Next up is learning what is needed in the AE tables. I may sell the MSPNP and get the pimpxs, which is megasquirt 3, because it can do sequential fire. Looking to push 600ish hp (people are over 800 on stock blocks!) until the aftermarket block gets built. Then it's 1k hp or bust. :)

Tom - just a heads up for remote tuning. It'll probably happen sometime in March as we're moving again in a few weeks and I have to get the garages setup. I may even pick your brain about the mustang tune since I'm not sure how to adjust the timing table for C16. I tuned it using 93 and will keep that tune, but when we go to the track I want to be able to maximize the good fuel for the boost I want to run (22-25psi).

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
Got a little bit of work done the past 2 days. Doing this outside with the cold front that came through wasn't much fun.

Last week I'd replaced the PCV hose, grommet, and valve. Still had a nice oil leak. When we originally reinstalled the engine we had reused one gasket. Since I was going to redo TDC/cam settings, I figured I'd go ahead and fix all of that as well. Yanked off the VC, got the cams and caps out, pulled the header, and voila...

There's no oil above the oil separator, just below and to the sides of it. Turns out the gasket we had reused was the one for the separator. It wasn't torn or anything.. but that's the only other place it could have been spitting. Threw a new gasket on and I guess we'll see what happens when I fire it up. I'm getting pretty stoked at this point since I haven't driven the car in a few years.

Side note - don't paint your block black. It makes it super hard to find leaks if the paint is glossy and the oil is new.

Pulled out the handy dandy timing tools and got her on TDC. Put the cams in, lined them up, and snugged the caps down. Got the tension set on the timing belt. Pulled put timing plug. Sprayed down everything around the oil separator with some carb cleaner and wiped it down. Thinking I'm good, I go grab the header and notice something bad.

It's one of the original focus central 4-2-1 headers, so it's older than dirt. The 1 and 4 pipes are welded together and the weld has cracked all the way around. The way it is designed.. I don't see a way to clean it up and weld without taking off the 2 and 3 pipes. I'll be calling an exhaust shop on Monday to see what the cost would be for the fix. If it is anywhere near the price of the header on CFM's site, I'll just be ordering a new one. Or.. is this the universe telling me that I need to ditch the procharger and go turbo? By the time I got to this point the sun was down and the temps were in the low 30's. Called it a night.

To do - double check timing, final torque of cam caps, whatever with the header, fill it with oil, recheck all the bolts again, and fire it up. IF all that goes well, once we move, the blower and other fuel rail will be installed. While we wait on closing, there are a few things I need to get finished up. I'll need to get some new bolts for the core support, get the radiator/fans set back up properly, and little stuff like that.

....at least it's progressing.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Lol at this point, I am thinking about it. What's the cost of a turbo kit these days for a focus? I only have about 2200 in the mustang's kit, including fuel system. Do they usually use a t4 flange?

Got everything buttoned up. Put the header back on just to see if it'll idle at this point. Waiting for the battery to charge now.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #74 (Edited)
Okay, need some tech help here.

Got everything torqued down, filled the oil, and charged the battery. I cranked the engine over a few times and it backfired. No biggie that timing is 180 out. When I was going in to fix that I saw a bad oil leak. This time I was lucky enough to be able to get way under the car and see about where it's coming from. It's on the driver side at the rear of the engine. Looks like it is coming from below the IAC.

What are the likely possibilities for this? Windage tray, maybe? Is there anything on the driver side of the block that could be disconnected and causing the leak?

·
FF Affiliate
30,673 Posts
sent you a PM about a complete kit I have for sale

Only thing below the IACV I can think of is oil plug , oil pans , valve cover , cam sensor , thats all I can think of on the back side drivers side that could leak oil

Tom

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
****, that means it's probably the windage tray. I can see it's actually down to the back side of the actual pan, so .. yeah. This will have to be put on hold until we move to the new house so I can use a garage. Leaving for VA this weekend, will be there around a week, then back here, then moving around the 1st.

I'll check the PM now.

Anyone around northern Alabama want to come turn some wrenches next month? I'll have 2 cars to work on and will provide food/beer lol..I don't know anyone here yet and it'd be good to meet some people

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Had the car for nearly 15 years and I just received the ARP cam bolts. This will make it easier considering I always have to search for that damn torx.

No other updates as of now. Made an offer on a FRIM last week but, understandably, the guy (i think i know who he is on here) wouldn't sell it for that price. Hopefully it'll be available in mid January and I can pick it up then.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Hey Tom - I'm still using the XCal2. If I were to get the XCal4 or whatever the latest/greatest is, what would that cost from you? What do you prefer to use?
I already paid for the actual tuning, if that helps.

Also, my brother just picked up a 2001 SE auto with a zetec. Don't you do tuning for the auto's to firm up the shifts and change shift points?

·
FF Affiliate
30,673 Posts
I can tune the ATX and change the shift points and PSI as well as give him user adjust to set both to his liking

Give me a call on the X4 , its the newest , if Brother interested cut you a package deal

Tom

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #80 (Edited)
Tom I'll call ya once all this moving stuff is sorted.

In the meantime, I have a no start condition happening. It'll turn over but it it just pops loudly. I have verified that that the cams are in correctly via TDC and the bar (numerous times). PATS seems to be fine. I did check and there is spark to #1 cylinder so that tells me maybe the fuel pump is gone. Is there anything else I should check before swapping out the pump?

Edit -it did start and run for a few seconds before dying. Then, once it died, it won't start again. That's why I think it could be the pump.

If it is the fuel pump, is there a larger one I could upgrade to without having to mod much? Is there a recommended brand to get?

61 - 80 of 118 Posts