Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, the install was easy BUT it was my first time with forced induction so it took me a while to do it. the instructions were pretty straight forward however, there were some things that needed to be added to them. i.e:
1) there are 4 spacers that come with the kit. (2) .38" and (2) .2". they tell you to put one .38" and one .2" on the input shaft that houses the pulley. it SHOULD read "install the .38" spacer, .2" spacer, pulley, .2" spacer." the pulley isn't suppose to move on the input shaft, i found this out the hard way. also the spacer that goes on after the pulley, is round inside. there is a metal bar that sits in the input shaft that the spacer HAS to go over. (this bar holds the pulley in place.) you need to cut a groove into the spacer so it slides over the metal bar and the input shaft goes into the bearing.
2) when installing the hoses and pipes for the intercooler, remove the battery and battery box. this makes the install SO much easier.
3) i think it says it but the rubber hoses need to be modified, you will have to cut SOME of them yourself. i only cut the ones from the intercooler to the first pipe and then the next hose connected to the next pipe.
4) there is an "L" shaped bracket the holds the supercharger itself. there is an idler pulley on one bracket and a hex head screw right under the idler pulley. you have to unscrew that screw from the other bracket to get the bracket with the bearing on the a/c compressor. this is the ONLY way you can get it on.
5) getting the intake pipe and air filter onthe s/c is a PITA. either take out the light from you right fog lamp or have A LOT of patience trying to install the set-up.
6) if you get the diablo mafia, and you'll need it, you'll have to watch out for the clearance between it and the hood. the pipe that goes into the tb that houses the maf, sits pretty high. either install the pipe as low as it will go or do what i did. i removed some of the stock fire proof blanket under the hood and dremeled away some of the hood that intereferes with the mafia. i then put some heat shrink wrap and electrical take on the connection to avoid chafing of the wires.
7) i only went with the 8 lbs. kit but i needed to set the mafia to setting 2. i had it on 3 but the car started and then died. i put it on 1 but the car was idoling rough. it's more of a guess and tune method. make sure the car is off when you change the settings.
8) the s/c is pretty loud. it has a whine accompanied by a hollow metal sound. when starting the car for the first time, let it run for about 2-3 min. turn it off and check for leaks or anything disconnected. then let it run for about 5-10 min.

my set-up:
procharger 8 lbs. kit
denso iridium spark plugs
ford racing plug wires
diablo mafia
8lbs tune from wayne at HIA
x cal-2
borla 2 1/2"
orp
boost gauge
t/c kill switch

all i'm waiting for is the break in period. i have noticed a differance in performance but won't know the extent until it's broken in. pm and i'll try to help you out if you need it.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Good write up.

What do you mean with the spacers on the shaft? I only had two spacers, the pulley and a bearing. My key for the shaft was too long as well, my question is, did the key go the whole length of the pulley. Mine only went about half way down the pulley and stuck out of the top. I just trimmed my key down instead of cutting a key way in the spacer. Also I trimmed alot of rubber off of the air intake before the blower, it goes up in the fender way easier now. My Diablo MAFia clears the hood. Also the whine will get quieter as you break it in.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Good job Richie!! I gotta get up there sometime in the next few days and take a look so I can see (and hear) what I'm in for!!!!!!! Hooray for the FI'd foci in Utah!!!!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no my key didn't go the length of the shaft. i think it went almost to the top. this is why i said that the spacer that goes on after the pulley has to have a groove cut into it because that's the only way it will fit. O, BTW, i got my procharger from B16sir1991. Great customer service and he answered ALL of my questions.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Let us know how the power feels after break-in. Also, dont forget what i said about the belt alignment, check it regularly to insure that its not riding up on the edge. Hope you enjoy it richie. I know i liked mine when i had it. What a rush. lol.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Its good to see more people with the Procharger now. Cant wait to see what kind of real power we can make with these things.

·
Registered
284 Posts
heard alot of great things about Prochargers setup...centrifigual is the way to go IMHO. Good luck with it...and DYNO THAT SUCKER :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
It is good to see more prochargers out there. I'm going to have mine up and going in about two weeks myself. I'll only be going to about 15 psi for that though. I'm waiting on a part thats going to allow me to safely go to 20-24 psi without worries. Should be around november or december for that but we should be seeing 350whp+ out of a procharger around that time. I'm hoping to hit around 300whp on 15psi but we'll just have to wait and see. about two weeks and I'll be posting some numbers.

Once again great job on the install and can't wait to see the numbers your making.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good job. Now that tom is out of the turbo business, my sights are now set on the procharger. What size injectors did you choose for this setup? Also, how would you decsribe the pull that the car has now. Does it pull you back in the seat? What RPM does it really kick in? Anything else that stands out to you?

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
I would love to see what kind of numbers you get on the dyno...Glad to see a happy boosted focus!

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Focusrocker, the procharger has a power band similar to a 2 stroke dirt bike, lol. When you kick it, it comes on almost all of a sudden and hard. No comments on the hard thing either, lol.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
42 lbs injectors. as i've said before i can't get on it yet but from the little fun that i've been having, i can DEFINATELY notice a difference in performance. i'll let ya know what happens after the first 500 miles.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Haha liquid01, lol. I knew someone was going to do that.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
I am proud of myself... I actually resisted...LOL...^^^^^^^

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Thanks viney, lol.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts