Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I'm asking if anyone out there is running big boost on a procharger kit. I'm currently working with Ray at Mcnews on my setup and we are planing on running 20 psi around 7500-8000 rpms.

So is there anyone out there that is close to this? I'm trying to figure out if there are any tiny things i'm going to need to address that only someone that has gone this far is going to know about. Between myself and Ray I think we've pretty much covered every aspect that might cause a problem but haveing never gone this high with this kit befor we're not a 100% positive.

Let me know what your running on your prochargers for boost and any problems that you've run into along the way.

Thanks

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's all still in the process of being put together. The engine is currently being built at mcnews right now and the charger is on it's way. I'm going to be running a 22x8x3 FMIC which should really keep the IAT's down. I know ray is running around 11psi on his procharger and was only seeing 10 degree increase in IAT's

Thanks for the question it's that type of thing that i'm looking to get control of befor everything is all put together. Fortunatly many issues have already been addressed just looking for some ones that myself and ray haven't thought of yet.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Here is another, have you considered a change in plumbing pipe size to accomodate the extra airflow?

I'm not 100% on how you calculate the optimal piping diameter, but I'm sure it has to deal with the CFM Flow of the charger at the designated boost level.

-Technyne

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I thought about the piping diameter. When i asked Ray about it he believes that going with the 2 1/2 that i'll be going with should be fine. I think this is because it's a SC setup insted of a turbo. Being the procharger won't be pushing 20 psi constantly it won't really need that extra added diameter. I'll only really be seeing that real high boost when i take the engine all the way to redline, which true enough i'll do often but it's not like a turbo kit where once the turbo spools up it's more a constant psi

At least thats my take on why i don't need the added diameter. thanks for the question thou

·
Registered
25,624 Posts
The only thing I can add is take the time now to figure out what injectors you will need so you only have to buy them once ( hopefully). Mcnews is a good group to have by your side on this project.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i decided to go with the 71lb RC injectors I believe this is going to be big enough. I bought a svt fuel pump that i'm going to do the mod to so that it won't fall off so bad in the upper rpms and then i also bought a Kenne bell BAP for added pressure.

Once again thanks for the sugjestion and keep them coming I know there are plenty of factors out there and the more I take car of now the less trouble i'll have when starting the engine and getting it tuned

·
Registered
25,624 Posts
Russ makes a nice custom injector. I know him from wayyyyyyy back in his bike dragracing days. The only other thing I can think of is inspect the pipes and IC fittings and if they may need a flange to hold the tubing on add one. They may already have it ( I don't know ). That will be fairly high boost and you want those fittings to not pop off.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There we go thats a good point right there. I don't know what the pipes look like either but i'm definatly going to check into that and add a flange if needed

Thanks

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So from the looks of it there really isn't anyone that has taken a procharger this far yet?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Been planning this similar set up since I recieved my PC in JUL 05. I have 71lb RC injectors, KB BAP, oversize crank pulley from CFM, & DS MAFia. ATI sent the 2.55" pulley & according to them it's the 10psi kit, but when I plug in the numbers to calculate blower rpm @ SVT redline. Impeller RPM = crank pulley dia./ SC pulley x4.7xengine RPM = 75,642 RPM. PC impeller redline is 80,000 RPM @ 24PSI. So I'm thinking I'll be around 20PSI @ 75.6K RPM. Was going to have tom tune the set up for me via DS prediator but does'nt reccomend it because his tunes are @ a lot lower altitude then here in denver. I'm determined to tune this setup myself with toms help via the SCT PRP on my slightly modified SVT engine, just to get the results & then as soon as I recieve my CGI STROKER short block (which I'm 2nd in line for) from tom, I'll switch over. I allready have 6 years of focus tunning research & 10k dollars & a year of research on this project invested. Buy the time it's said & done, all us faithful foci tuner owners will have some good information on these setups.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nice. yes that is actually the same pulley setup that i'm going to be running. Have gotten the same numbers as well. Thats going to be a badass setup when you get the stroker block in there. It looks like as far as all the tuning goes your going to be runing the same setup as me. So when are you going to have everything running?

·
Registered
548 Posts
I'm sending tom a check for the PRP monday 5-8-06 & as soon as I recieve it I'll load toms PC base file & fine tune from there. I hope the 71 injectors arn't too much & the denso itv27s which are 3 steps colder arn't too cold. What do you guys think? I have access to 93 octane & have a wideband AFR, egt, fuel pressure, boost, & water temp gauges. With my laptop & everybodys help I'm confident we can tune these puppies without a dyno. As soon as I recieve the stroker I'll drop in the quaife, cm stg4, & lite fly. Hopefully by the end of may it's done.[driving]

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nice sounds like your going to have one hell of a set up. You should be able to get it tuned in pretty good without a dyno with the help from tom and others but of course a dyno is always going to give you the best results.

So your going to have the stroker in by the end of may as well?

I don't know on the plugs I'm still trying to figure out which ones i'm going ot want to run in my car. You'll have to let me know how they work out for you with the 93 oct. I'm sure the injectors are going to be fine not to much at all. Being that your going with the higher inj. it will give you room to play around with and you won't be maxing them out

·
Registered
548 Posts
Tom's the answer man on the block. I'm anixous but don't want to rush genius at work since he's got a lot on his plate. He say everythings ready just waiting on the crank, maybe 2 more weeks. As soon as I learn how to transfer pics, I'll post my work in progess. Like to show off my new OZ ultraleggeras. Man those things are lite. BTW when you recieve the PC kit make sure you have a set of .750" & a set of .950" (3 each) spacers. ATI sent me six .750". The only reason I came across this error was on this site someone was complaining about belt alignment issues, so to the untrained eye there easy to mix them up.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
aw thanks for the info on that I'll make sure I have the proper spacers.

I know how it is to be waiting on an engine to get done. Right now with mine being built at mcnews i'm starting to get really anxious. I'll be getting home sometime real late june and when i do I have to get the engine running with no charger and tuned a little so i can break it in then I can hook up the charger with stock crank pulley do a little tuning with that and the slap on the 5.7" crank and take it to the dyno and thats when the real fun begines. Rays gonna start hateing me at that point because i'm going to be talking to him constantly trying to get everything all tuned perfectly. I'm sure the guy at the dyno i'm taking it to, being a SCT dealer and tuner, will be able to tune the car just fine but experiance always helps for getting things just right.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
solution for? This is mainly just a thread asking if anyone is already doing high boost on a procharger. Trying to find out what, if any, problems have been found while going up to 20 psi on the procharger kit. Only real problems so far i've already addressed and now my main problem is having to wait until i get back from iraq to be able to try out my new setup. But i'm down to a mounth and a half so i'm getting closer.

·
Registered
25,624 Posts
I wouldn't sweat the plugs much, they should be fine, if they don't work out, you just fouled a set of plugs, cheap $$$ in the grand scheme of things. I think it will be tough to get those big injectors to idle well, but who cares? The car should be a blast. You can street tune, you will always get more out of a dyno, but you can do it that way. We were tuning cars before there were dynos. LOL
The two things I would set up to really watch are AFR ( obviously ) and EGT, egt can tell you if you have a problem.

·
/fail
3,193 Posts
i want to do something close but prolly more close to 15 psi although it will be down the road a ways.............is there even a 15lb pulley out??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts