Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 focus HB SE, first day the airbag light was on, sensor was bad. Took it in that day, got it fixed the next day. 3 hours after picking it up, my family and I went to dinner, got back into the car, key does not work, won't move at all. Tried second key, same thing. Took it back in to the stealership, steering column and ignition cylinder broker. WTF! 2 days owning the car, 2 problems, has anyone else had problems like this? I told the stealership I would not take this car and they will give me another one, they tried some bullshit but the misses set them straight. They don't have any HB until the 31st, so they have my car that I traded in that i had positive equity on and did not have to sell it, I am out a new car I got an escape loaner that get horrible mpg. Any suggestion on what I should do?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
sit tight. its a new car, problems pop up. its the first model year of a brand new version of a car. we're beta testers essentially. I've read about another airbag sensor once, but that was it. I personally haven't had any issues, so just sit tight and let them do their job without provoking them. most people don't realize how many issues brand new cars have in their first model year, but they have them... the trick is to either wait for them to be addressed and then buy, or to suck it up and let Ford handle it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 2010 Taurus ran perfect with no issues bought the first month it came out. This ones a lemon, the new HB they are giving me has a few more options and I don't have to pay the difference, auto, cruise and another one as well I fogot what the stealership told me.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I agree with Feta completely. I know it sucks, cause you want to have that new car feeling, but it happens. I've read of a lot of problems on this site, but people rarely take the time to write when everything goes great. I commute 105 miles a day, bought my SEL in June and have over 11,000 miles on it already. Other than the NAV being wonky sometimes (which was fixed with the latest upgrade) I have loved every second in my car.

BTW... if the dealer is working with you, be cool with them. They will go the extra mile for people who don't freak out on them.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
sit tight. its a new car, problems pop up. its the first model year of a brand new version of a car. we're beta testers essentially. I've read about another airbag sensor once, but that was it. I personally haven't had any issues, so just sit tight and let them do their job without provoking them. most people don't realize how many issues brand new cars have in their first model year, but they have them... the trick is to either wait for them to be addressed and then buy, or to suck it up and let Ford handle it.
This is especially true from Ford. If you just sit tight you'll be taken care of with a new ride that has more options than you paid for. The dealer sounds like they are taking decent care of you, since build quality isn't their fault.

Sounds like you got lucky with that first model year Taurus.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I agree when you buy the first year of a new car it has issues. I have owned 36 new cars and im only 44 years old! Most of them have been Ford's and they have really been the best cars. Sit tight and let the dealership help you. Sound's like you may be working with a good dealer. Just don't buy a volkswagon or you will really find out what problems are!

·
Registered
712 Posts
I would be upset as you are as these issues should not occur. However, I think dumping the car is a little overboard at this juncture. I had to take mine in 3 times in the first month for problems (and I was mad as hell to be honest) but expected it with a brand new model. None of the issues kept me off the road. However, it has been a perfect joy to drive since then. If your greatest expectation is the have zero problems you should have bought a Honda. I have a Civic, have had zero problems, but it's a bore to drive, nothing to look at, uncomfortable seats, noisy and no cool technology. I like the trad-offs

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have to say, reactions like this are still amazing to me. I work at a dealer and it happens quite often. Fixing a car is usually pretty simple and you aren't paying for it. Look at it this way-- the parts broken once, the likelihood of it failing again out of warranty is quite unlikely. Hope it gets fixed soon though!!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, it is not quite correct to say that the car is in its first year of manufacture, the Mk3 Focus maybe but all of technology within it isn't. Firstly the platform is based upon the Mk2/2.5 Focus whch has been out since 2004, the only new element really is the bodywork. The other thing is that the car is virtually the same as the C-Max under the skin, which has also been around since 2010. All cars are tested for hundreds of thousands of miles, something that Ford boasts about with the Focus. In my opinion any faults are down to poor assembly and/or poor manufacturing, poor QC.
The keyless system isn't working correctly on my car, the front passenger door will not lock or unlock and requires the sensor, along with the door handle, to be replaced. Now I know for sure that the door handles are exactly the same as the Mk4 Mondeo, a car that's been around since 2007.
Chris

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Hi, it is not quite correct to say that the car is in its first year of manufacture, the Mk3 Focus maybe but all of technology within it isn't. Firstly the platform is based upon the Mk2/2.5 Focus whch has been out since 2004, the only new element really is the bodywork. The other thing is that the car is virtually the same as the C-Max under the skin, which has also been around since 2010. All cars are tested for hundreds of thousands of miles, something that Ford boasts about with the Focus. In my opinion any faults are down to poor assembly and/or poor manufacturing, poor QC.
The keyless system isn't working correctly on my car, the front passenger door will not lock or unlock and requires the sensor, along with the door handle, to be replaced. Now I know for sure that the door handles are exactly the same as the Mk4 Mondeo, a car that's been around since 2007.
Chris
This is true, to an extent. The fact that the car is based on the same platform as other cars doesn't change anything. My Mazdaspeed 3 was based on the same platform, but it still had different inner workings.

The EPAS is new for the Focus, the engine and transmission are new for the Focus, MFT is new for the Focus, Sync v2 is new for the Focus, everything on this car is NEW for this Focus. Regardless of the platform, the technology, or the testing, it's new. Ford can test for thousands of miles all they want, but what you have to realize is a lot of that is SIMULATED testing, not real-world testing. The real testers are the drivers who buy the cars.

I agree with you completely, but platform and recycling door handles aside, it's still a brand new car with brand new parts.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
It is also being built in the United States for the first year. Not all of the kinks have been worked out of the manufacturing process yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have to say, reactions like this are still amazing to me. I work at a dealer and it happens quite often. Fixing a car is usually pretty simple and you aren't paying for it. Look at it this way-- the parts broken once, the likelihood of it failing again out of warranty is quite unlikely. Hope it gets fixed soon

My problem is not it breaking but it happening one after another. The car which is new has spent more time at service than on the road or in my driveway.

·
Registered
533 Posts
It is also being built in the United States for the first year. Not all of the kinks have been worked out of the manufacturing process yet.
Hi, now that part I think I will agree with and some of the technology maybe new to the assembly line as well.

However I do not agree with the statement that, because the technology is new to the Focus then it will be more likely to break. All the technology has been around, including the powershift transmission and the engine, maybe in a different guise though, fitted to previous foci's and the Mk4 Mondeo. Over here in europe the only 'new' thing is one of the engines, the 1.6 ecoboost, it is brand new from the sump up, however it is the only thing I've not heard about having any issues with yet. I agree about the MyFord Sync, but then that was broken before it got to the Focus wasn't it?
Chris

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Is MFT a Microsoft product like Sync is? Cause that would explain a lot of those issues.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Well that I can definitely sympathize with, just remember if you feel you are being treated unfairly or overlooked, contact Fords customer service.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Is MFT a Microsoft product like Sync is? Cause that would explain a lot of those issues.
Just curious...what exactly would it explain?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Microsoft is very well known for releasing a product filled with bugs.
So has Apple...there was a major update to Snow Leopard just one week after launch.

Any company will have launch woes with complex software. I'm just wondering why, if MS actually programmed MFT, what would it explain. MFT is a locked device, on an operating system that would not be touched unless through USB updates.

I think that if either Apple or MS did the full programming from start to finish on MFT, we would see better performance. Mainly because they would use a processor that is actually capable of prime time.

I think they cheaped out on the processor for MFT and that is holding them back.

I'm hoping that since MFT is a black box that is easily removable from the vehicle, we can get a hardware upgrade (albiet, for $$) for our vehicles.

·
Registered
130 Posts
So has Apple...there was a major update to Snow Leopard just one week after launch.

Any company will have launch woes with complex software. I'm just wondering why, if MS actually programmed MFT, what would it explain. MFT is a locked device, on an operating system that would not be touched unless through USB updates.

I think that if either Apple or MS did the full programming from start to finish on MFT, we would see better performance. Mainly because they would use a processor that is actually capable of prime time.

I think they cheaped out on the processor for MFT and that is holding them back.

I'm hoping that since MFT is a black box that is easily removable from the vehicle, we can get a hardware upgrade (albiet, for $$) for our vehicles.
I agree. I don't think Microsoft is as bad as everyone makes them out to be. One thing I think that would make things a lot easier for a lot of problems is if they actually provided a power button or reset switch that would reboot MFT since the only true way to remove it from power is to pull a fuse.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts