Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

A while ago i bought the Premium Alarm upgrade for my 2003 Focus Zetec (ZX3 in America), followed the installation no probs.

A little while ago i started having issues with the alarm. The car would stall and then the alarm would activate. IT got very annoying when i was sitting at a set of lights and then have to unlock the car as its going nutz when i try and re-start it.

So i removed the alarm box and the wiring loom that used scotch clips to connect to the wiring harness that plugged into the GEM unit.

Now my issue since then has been that every now and then, so randomly all my audio turns off, dash lights up as if ive just turned it into ignition mode..this all happens whilst im driving.

I took it to a sparky who said the GEM unit is fine, but apparently i have bad electronics in the drivers door.

Can anyone tell me what i can replace in the door that could possibly effect the GEM unit?

The installation instructions for the alarm unit im sure made you scotch clip into the drivers door sensors and what not. What i think is happening (and no sparky wants to check for me as a professional Opinion) is that the scotch clip has somehow severed to a degree the wiring loom in places for the drivers door and when im going over bumps etc the connection is dropping.

Has anyone have any experience with this sorta stuff? Can anyone recomend anything at all that i can do ?

ive been thinking of buying a door off a wreck and changing it over completely so that i know nothing is the same......just dont want to have to do that yet.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
EXACTLY why scotch clips/t-taps are a no-no in the mobile electronics world. The GEM usually goes to sleep after the vehicle is parked for awhile. So most add-on systems need to connect to it to wake it up before unlocking the doors/unarming the alarm can be done.

You installed and uninstalled the system, so you should know where all the connections were, yes? Go over them and inspect for damage. If you see any former connection that looks like it may have either severed the copper wire strands OR the insulation is cut enough to briefly short on something, cut that section out and solder in new wire. Or at least solder/tape over that area. As for what inside the door you could replace.... I don't know. I can't think of any real module that would be inside the door on an 03 Focus. Door pin and door locks. Only things I can think of that would even remotely relate to the GEM.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i know, the Scotch clips are a joke and i hated having to put them on. But at the time i was less than capable of using soldering iron. Happy to use it now.

Only issue i have is cant seem to find the isntallation manual for the alarm and FoMoCo seem to beleive that they never ever sold an alarm kit for the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts