Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Focus ZX5
180,000 miles

I've been having trouble with starting my car after a trip on a hot day.I usually have to wait about 30 minutes before I can start my car again. It turns over and struggles to start but dies , unless i give it a bit of gas , in which case it only lasts until i take my foot off the pedal. I have had this problem for awhile now , but since it only happens during the summer I've never really gotten around to fixing it .However, now I'm just sick of it happening , so I'd like to fix it hopefully with your help , since I'm stumped !

Additionally, my CEL came on today with the code P0171 , indicating a problem of some kind . Which may be linked to the rough idle , which is around 630 - 740 rpm once the engine has warmed up . Stumped on this one too. I've already checked all the vacuum hoses and I couldn't find problems with them and I changed the o2 sensor , the one on the front of the exhaust manifold, only a year ago so I hope that it's not bad already .

Any help would be greatly appreciated .

·
Registered
456 Posts
Sounds like a TPS [throttle positioning sensor] letting you down. Also one other emission valve that sticks on top of engine. Easy to get too clean. Many just buy new ones, I just take mine apart to clean the plunger free of soot. Works every time. Looks like a roll of quarters on top of engine, two bolts holding it on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a TPS [throttle positioning sensor] letting you down. Also one other emission valve that sticks on top of engine. Easy to get too clean. Many just buy new ones, I just take mine apart to clean the plunger free of soot. Works every time. Looks like a roll of quarters on top of engine, two bolts holding it on.
I had someone else also advice me that it might be a TPS issue , so I'll have to look into that possibility.

Also, what do you mean by "another valve on top of the engine that looks like a roll of quarters"? I can't seem to find anything on top of the engine that resembles what you described, so if you could clear that up then I would greatly appreciate it. ;)

·
Registered
456 Posts
TPS is the name of the item in question. Roll down to AutoZone and ask to look at a TPS and memorize it, go home and it's so easy tro find. Replace it and that should help you. Are you using a good gas cleaner in your gas tank? You need too as the gas their dumping in these tanks now have poor cleaners installed in them.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Check the PCV hose hose leaks. Common source of vacuum leak causing lean conditions at idle. Also check the IACV, idle air control valve which sits on the side of the throttle body. Maybe remove and clean.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check the PCV hose hose leaks. Common source of vacuum leak causing lean conditions at idle. Also check the IACV, idle air control valve which sits on the side of the throttle body. Maybe remove and clean.
I checked that hose as best as I could considering where it's located , and that there's a heat-shield covering most of the hose making it almost impossible to feel around for cracks and holes.

I was told if I removed the IAC valve then I had to buy a new gasket for it . Is that true? And if it is , then do I need a specific gasket for that or what?

Sorry , I'm 20 and this my first car so most of my questions probably sound silly to you guys .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TPS is the name of the item in question. Roll down to AutoZone and ask to look at a TPS and memorize it, go home and it's so easy tro find. Replace it and that should help you. Are you using a good gas cleaner in your gas tank? You need too as the gas their dumping in these tanks now have poor cleaners installed in them.
Oh! you meant the Tps . Sorry , you said "also" so i thought you were referring to 2 different parts . I found the tps almost instantly .

I've been dumping in all kinds of fuel cleaners over the last month ( my dad's idea ;P)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts