Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 focus. Two days ago when we tried to turn the ari conditioner on the light in the button comes on for the air but the fan will not blow on 1-3 but when you turn the fan on to 4 the light go's out on the air button and the fan blows full force. Can anyone tell me what the heck is going on?

[?|]

Thnak you
Randy K

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
hmmmm, that doesnt sound good. its prolly going to be a relay. look in your manual and find the hvac or equivelent relay, remove it. try to run your air, if it doesn work at all, you got the right relay. go get a new one now.[thumb] if its not a relay, you are prolly going to have to pay someone to take care of this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that is what I was thinking. Found the repay but how the heck do you get it out? Is it a just pull? The thing is tight if it comes out that way.

And is that a part you buy at like Auto zone or just a dealer item?

Randy

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Sounds like it could be the blower resistor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tested the relay and it is good. So it must be the blower rister. Is it located next to the blower motor?

Randy

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Yes,its located close to the blower motor. It may looked burndt if its bad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Not sure what i looks like. I have a blue piece that a plug go's into and it is screwed to the fire wall inside.

The blower motor id behind the glove box right.....

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"but the fan will not blow on 1-3 but when you turn the fan on to 4 the light go's out on the air button and the fan blows full force."

Classic symptom of a bad (open) blower motor resistor. On all lower speeds the cureent goes through the blower resistor pack to slow the speed. On the highest speed, the resistor pack is bypassed.

I always wonder why auto manufacturers seem to have such a problem making durable blower resistors. This happened on my 1982 Toyota as well, and it seems to be one of the most common problems for most cars, regardless of brand.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I feel for sure that it is the blower motor restistor. Now what the heck am I looking for? What does it look like? Is the blower motor behind the glove box? I belive it is. But not sure what the resisitor looks like. It's close to 100 here in pa this week and I need to fix it....LOL

Thank you
Randy K

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
it should be a 2.5 inch by 1 inch blue 'connector' looking item, held onto the HVAC box by a small bolt. It will have 4 wires going into it. When you remove the bolts, you will pull out the part and it looks like on the hidden side, there is circuit board consisting of 4 circuits.

Even if it doesn't readily appear burnt, it may be bad. If had a few where I couldn't see easily where the open had occurred, yet they were still bad.

EDIT... found a great write up using that funny little 'SEARCH' feature we have

Sting2324 said:
After doing some searching, I found this write up done by, ModemJunki where the OP had the problem with 1-3 not working and after it was replaced, it fixed his problem.

It's easier than it looks on paper. I removed and replaced it in <5 minutes. My resistor pack is bright Ford blue.

You will need:
A. The new resistor pack.
B. An 8mm socket and suitable handle (one of those flexible ones did the trick).
C. A flashlight.
D. Opposable thumbs (should be standard issue on the higher primates).

Step by step:
1. Open the glovebox, and empty it.
2. Squeeze the sides of the glovebox and drop it down.
3. Squeeze the tab on the connector to the resistor pack (hidden in the pic below, it's on the left).
4. Remove the 8mm hex-head screw holding the resistor pack. Once loosened, it can be unscrewed by hand (don't drop the screw!).
5. Lift the resistor pack from the bottom, it swings up and out.

Installation is the reverse of removal. Don't overtighten that screw!
Let us know if this fixes your Focus!

I managed to get this part taken out. It could be a PITA to get to if you don't have the required parts. I personally used an 8inch extension, and a philps screwdriver bit to remove that single screw. That blue part came off rather easier and upon looking at mine it appears to have a silver..burnt effect on the side that you see in the above picture. I called Ford to order a replacement, but they closed at noon today and don't open until 8AM on Monday. It's also a fairly inexpensive part..$10-$20

---Randy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your help that's the part i thought it was. Will have it done tomorrow if they have the part in stock....

Randy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts