Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay this is from the start of the problem my harmoinc balancer need to be replaced. on my car its a 2002 ford foucs zx5 dohc zetec. we have it back on and everything looks like it should but now it wont start now it has been sitting now since the 27th of december. but i am lost and quite mad and frustrated i need to fix it but i have no idea where to start trouble shooting or what the problem could be any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Got the battery charged up well?

Can you hear the fuel pump run for a bit when first turning it on?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No i dont have it charged well but i can get a charger to do it today,We just tried a jump and ill check on the fuel pump real quick and let you know.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
My zetec memory is spotty this AM, haven't had one apart in person so it takes looking some things up on occasion.

Can you confirm that the pulley you replaced was keyed along with the lower timing belt one? Duratec doesn't, and SPI does, I'm blanking ATM on the zetec.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
harmoinc balancer need to be replaced.
What is the harmonic balancer? The crank shaft pulley or maybe an engine mount?

If crank pulley, and you removed it, it must be done with great care to ensure engine timing is not thrown off. Right?

Other people here are better qualified to help you, because my experience with Zetec engines is very close to zero.

Good luck.

Edit: I'm curious, why did it need to be replaced?

Edit2: Deleted comment about CKP.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea its the crank shaft pully. and see ive had alot of trouble out of my belt system i cant count how many time my belt has been thrownoff but the last time on the 24th of december it came of annd shreded the belt and the rubber piece between the pully and the mount did the same. now i wish i could say that i am very good at paying attention to that but i stay busy so i am a on the go type of guy. my friend believes that the harmonic balancer has been off for awhile because it was so easy foor the belt to break it loose. And see idk about the timing its keyed on to the end of the crank but the time chain wasnt removed or moved at all atleast that i am aware of. it was simple to remove i didnt need a toold or anything just tapped a couple time to loosen after the bolt was removed and put the new one on with a impact to press it back on. But im not exactly the best mechanic i always get my buddy to help me out because him and his dad work there own shop and have been for quite some time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you confirm that the pulley you replaced was keyed along with the lower timing belt one? Duratec doesn't, and SPI does, I'm blanking ATM on the zetec.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Tx, I just looked that up to confirm it - at first I was just lazy & asked.

So, we're down to the usual "fuel, spark, compression, timing" list.

You can confirm cams turning with a peek in the oil fill while it's cranked. Won't confirm good timing but at least you'll know it doesn't have a stripped/broken timing belt.

Marde - zetec takes it's CKP timing from a sensor at the flywheel end, as long as it has spark we know that is OK.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well yea it has spark now we are turning it on but we think the fuel pump is not turning like you suggested. now would the charge on the battery stop it from turning on i mean my headlights and everything else is working right.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WEll now my little sisters boyfreind just check to see if fuel pump was turning on but he said he didnt hear it i hope thats all it is just not getting fuel. But i also asked him to check the oil to see if there was any fluids mixed in with to suggest i did more than just mess up my harmonic balancer. or even froze and busted i know i had some antifreeze in it but i do not know how much. now my dad had said he think i spun the bearing out on my crank but wouldnt that lock up the engine?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Get a good charged battery. That will eliminate one variable.

I'm not sure if I read that right...you have antifreeze in your oil? Or you just don't know if you had enough in the engine, and you're worried it might have frozen and cracked the block?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
No, it should work if you've got power.

Hard to tell if it's working easily, only pumps enough to build pressure the first time it's turned on & intermittently as needed after that to keep the pressure up when running.

Pull any plugs to see what they look like?

Injectors clicking when it turns over?

Confirm that cam turning BTW - ancient belts can strip any time & stop it working.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
@Sailor - Thanks. Edited my post and deleted comment about CKP.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Idk yet im waiting on my sisters boyfriend to call me back but i im afraid that i didnt have enough antifreeze in it and it busted because its been so cold these last few weeks i mean down to single digits. the plugs are abit used a lil carbon biuld up on it but clean on the gap and idk if the injectors are clicking ill have that check as well as the cam

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay well first thank you sailor i think you found my problem after eleminating almost all things out we think that it is the fuel my oil looks fine no mixture or shaving. also the cam is turning so i think thats okay and he pulled the cover off the timing belt to look and make sure the belt didnt snap or isnt rotten. This after noon we are gonna get a battery charger and charge the battery to elminate that. He seems to believe the car is not getting fuel no injectors clicking and no winning from the fuel pump. i know its not that tho ill check the compression and if none of that works ill post tomorrow and find out what you think.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Just for future reference, not enough volume of antifreeze (if it's mixed at the correct ratio of water:coolant) doesn't crack the block in sub-zero temperatures...it's when you put in too much water.

Up here in the great frozen north, we use 70:30 coolant to water and I've never cracked a block, even when I've left a car sitting all winter (poor racecar!)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts