Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Wales!!
10,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i have lowered my car by about 2inches with the eibach suspension kit. before i did this i was running on to broken springs in the rear. for some reason my backend always wants to slide out when i hit a small bump in the road, uneven road or when it snows.its got worse in the last few months. i have had my grandad/mechanic have a look at it and cant find anything wrong with it. it has surface rust on the subframe and car has 80k miles on the clock. the car has also been rear ended in 2004 by the previous owner. do u have any clue what could be wrong? im tempted to just by a new rear subframe. could old bushings do this? it also has stock rear sway bar.
any help will be appreciated
thanks.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Is your alignment ok? If you have toe-out in the rear, it can be twitchy like that. Your track may be off some too.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Deff check the aligment. Oh and get a more tuned alignment, not the stock aligment. Makes a big difference. pm me if you have any questions

·
Wales!!
10,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys. car is going in the garage today for 2 new inner tie rods. they r also going to check the back out. how much is more tuned alignment usually cost?

·
Banned
894 Posts
Should be the same as a regular one, just tell them what you'd like it set at. I just had mine done and I gave them the specifications that I wanted it at and they set it as close as possible.

·
Wales!!
10,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok good to know.
finally got the car back. their mechanics at quick lane couldn't find anything wrong with the rear suspension.
this is the information i got for rear suspension on the alignment, i think they did it twice
Left rear...
before= 0.0
actual= -2.2 the specified rang shows from -2.3 - 0.3

right rear
before=0.0
actual=-1.2 range -2.3 - 0.3

its hard to read the sheet because the ink faded for actual readings. does this seem okay?

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
those are toe correct?

The "tuned" I was talking about would be .04 rear, and -.03 front.

·
Wales!!
10,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
il post up my full alignment tomorrow. a part of it is faded though. driving home in the snow tonight the back end did not want to slide out at all. it must of been the bad toe. theres still a bit of vibration but the rear wheels are bit bent and i dont have those silicone cover that go above the springs in the rear. im going to buy new ones of those and get them installed.

also instead of making a new thread i had my inner tie rods replaced today too. the steering kept on making a clanking sound. most of the clanking sound is gone now but i still get a similar noise but lot quieter coming from that area, do u guys have any guesses what that could be??

thanks

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
It could be the outer tie rod. A good way to check this is by grabbing your tie with both hands and try to move the tire when your car is in park and turned off. If you can move it the outer tie rod is bad, unless your a complete beast or something..

·
Registered
921 Posts
I figured the rear was a toe problem. Rear toe can make it very twitchy. If the noise isn't a tie rod, it may be your strut bearings. If you turn the wheel and hear a muffled pop pop pop, that's probably what it is. If you turn the wheel faster, the popping will go faster as well.

·
Wales!!
10,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well after a week of tie rods being fixed. i first punture passenger front tire ($120 down the drain). leaving the garage going home i hit a few very bad pot holes and messed the passenger side suspension up. i hit it hard enough to turn the fuel line switch off.
the car handle very bad so i took it too garage next day. they told me i bent my strut, spindle, hub, bearing, and possibly the control arm. however my subframe is rusted and has holes in it so i got them to replace that too. the top of my wheel was tilted in a bit. i was lucky i didn't puncture the new tire within 2 min of being installed.
so after $1600 + $120 for new tire monday i will be picking my car up this morning. and yet still no new news about the rear. im just going to wait until the spring and possibly install new subframe

·
Wales!!
10,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
got the car back and it feels better than the day i had it. i can properly test the suspension and so on once it stops snowing.
also they may have found the problem for my rear sliding out. the right rear wheel has too much negative camber. so in summer il definitely be buying the ford racing rear subframe to alter that.

·
Wales!!
10,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
little update, the car suspension was horrible, the whole car was vibrating and couldn't go more than 50mph without losing control of the car. found out my wheel i hit the pothole with is really bent so its altering the balance. however it still holds air. they put the wheel in the rear now. better but still bad. summer rims go on this friday

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
If the wheel is bent bad enough to cause that kind of vibration at those moderate speeds its time to retire it. Don't even use it as a spare.

·
Registered
12 Posts
this is interesting as i have a 2000 i'm working on presently.back end wants to step out,esp at hiway speeds.pretty undriveable at times. found right tracking bar had a broken mount at the frt.had 2 broken coils. the whole car is rusted excessively. ended up
replacing both lower arms,coils,tracking bar bushing and all the hardware.also 4 new goodyears. set the align and the rear camber was over -4.0 degrees. changed out the upper arms to the +1.0 camber replacements.align is perfect.frt camber excellent with .3 cross. rear toe is .4 and camber is -.7 left/ and -1.1 right. awesome.. drove it and no change whatsoever. this car is the "ride of death". backend steps out 6-8" esp at 65. absolutely all over the road. i would swear it has a broken frame. ford hotline is next!!!
unless someone knows some miracle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
""YEA-BABY""
lower dog bone junk,r.side.4 people ckd this plus me. had to catch it in one spot only.
ended up replacing tracking bar at right rear,and bone. put new upper arms 1+ to
alleviate the -4.5 camber. did not want smaller bolts. actually can drive it over 25 now without using 2 lanes

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
hey guys, i have lowered my car by about 2inches with the eibach suspension kit. before i did this i was running on to broken springs in the rear. for some reason my backend always wants to slide out when i hit a small bump in the road, uneven road or when it snows.its got worse in the last few months. i have had my grandad/mechanic have a look at it and cant find anything wrong with it. it has surface rust on the subframe and car has 80k miles on the clock. the car has also been rear ended in 2004 by the previous owner. do u have any clue what could be wrong? im tempted to just by a new rear subframe. could old bushings do this? it also has stock rear sway bar.
any help will be appreciated
thanks.
my 2 cents is just fix your rear ended bumper see i had rear end damage when i bought my first car and i took it to a paint shop and they fixed my rearend damage and it was the love i had for that bumper ha ha any ways my ideas were on the shocks and struts so during my birthday i took my focus in for inspection at midas and they found a bad strut , midas can find problems my advice would be to take foci to midas and get them to inspect your struts and entire shock and suspension

1 - 18 of 18 Posts