Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im having a weird problem that i need some help with. My tail lights do not come on when i turn my lights on at night but my brake lights still work. also the interior lights on my controls, and tach do not come on. i noticed this the other night when i got into my car

what could this be?? even tho the brake lights still work i changed the bulbs anyway and still no luck. any suggestion??

thank you

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Fuses first, then check out the hatch wiring. If you search on here, you'll find multiple threads about the hatch wiring becoming damaged due to years of wires rubbing on each other. Tape damage, apply silicone grease, and it should be ok for another 10 years.

I have also found problems with the tail lights due to damage to the license plate lights. The owner's manual shows how to remove those, and you'll likely find a ton of corrosion. The ground connection to these lights is very important, and corrosion can break the ground at this point. That's what caused my tail lights to go out when I was working on the license plate lights IIRC.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Oh, repair any wiring damage before you replace fuses, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to remove all the fuses associate with brake lights, license plate lights, tail lights, parking lights, reverse lights, and so forth before working on the wiring.

You could simply remove the negative battery terminal, but I chose to suggest pulling fuses because you need to check those anyway- and that will prevent any resetting of the PCM, radio, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts