Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
Those should show up as a possible vacuum leak or an evap system leak.

'...you aren't getting enough current, even though the voltage is fine.'

True and can be a hard one to find. Broken wire inside insulation. A say 35 strand wire with 32 of the strands broken will still show 12 volts in testing over the 3 strands left but will not pass enough amp to power the device. It was a common fail on Contour HVAC blowers, Ford specified too small a connector at the blower lead to fusebox and it overheated to begin breaking wire strands to then have current to blower check out at 12 volt all day long but the blowers barely or wouldn't work when plugged in, they worked by themselves fine.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Those should show up as a possible vacuum leak or an evap system leak.

'...you aren't getting enough current, even though the voltage is fine.'

True and can be a hard one to find. Broken wire inside insulation. A say 35 strand wire with 32 of the strands broken will still show 12 volts in testing over the 3 strands left but will not pass enough amp to power the device. It was a common fail on Contour HVAC blowers, Ford specified too small a connector at the blower lead to fusebox and it overheated to begin breaking wire strands to then have current to blower check out at 12 volt all day long but the blowers barely or wouldn't work when plugged in, they worked by themselves fine.
A coworker back in the day had that exact problem with his Contour.
Took him forever to get it figured out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Anyone know what the current draw of a good fuel pump should be? I have loads of connectors and wires i could use to make a series harness for my DMM. Then atleast ill know if its getting proper amount or not.

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
Not a clue. Look at fuse for a guess, mine would be 3-5 amp. Fuse is usually 2-3X bigger.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Nice suggestion, didnt even think of that. I googled, came up with a video on someone working on a 04 escape, different motor, but the fuel system is ran the same way. They said 4-8 amps, which makes sense with a 15amp fuse we run.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Nice suggestion, didnt even think of that. I googled, came up with a video on someone working on a 04 escape, different motor, but the fuel system is ran the same way. They said 4-8 amps, which makes sense with a 15amp fuse we run.
Does your fuel tank burp fuel back out if you try to fill it too fast?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Does your fuel tank burp fuel back out if you try to fill it too fast?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using FF Mobile
No it doesnt.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Update. Its been fixed but i figured id update with the actual problem for future problems. So as thought, current output to the fuel pump was low. There was high resistance in the wire from the fuse block to the inertia switch. The whole wire had to be replaced. So low current due to high resistance going to the inertia switch can cause fuel pump not priming or running properly but also throw code P1237.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts