Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought some new ones off of eBay, they're basically stock replicas, but they're China made. Paid abut $75 for the pair. I did this because polishing and solutions simply do not fix the problem, they always haze over again within a few short months, so I'm basically done trying that.

Out of the box my new ones looked great, and freakishly clear. But I noticed when I opened them up, that the passengers side light seemed a bit shoddy in workmanship. The rubber lining that is supposed to run along the edge of the housing was no where near attached correctly, leaving a big gap along the upper edge at the corner. But I didn't think too much of it, and all seemed well after installation.

However, later that evening we got an ever so slight sprinkling of rain, and I noticed immediately, condensation building on the under side of the lens over top of the chrome corner. Today, it seems as though the condensation has mostly evaporated, but there's still a bit that has migrated down to the bottom of the fixture.

So I guess the question is... is this a glaring defect? Does this normally happen? Can I expect moisture to get inside of my brand new fixtures? Or is this bullcrap and I should be demanding a replacement unit right about now?

I bought these from a eBay dealer known as "AutoAndArt". Call me crazy, but I expected them to stay perfect for longer than half a day.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Like you stated "china made" enough said right there. Take them out and seal them up correctly and you might get a year before they are hazzy and the shinny inside start to flake off.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yep. People buy absolute junk from China for a deep discounted price and wonder why the product feels/looks/performs so cheap. I would take the lens out of the china crap and oem lights, then butyl seal the clear lens to your factory OEM housing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like you stated "china made" enough said right there. Take them out and seal them up correctly and you might get a year before they are hazzy and the shinny inside start to flake off.
You aren't painting a very nice picture for me.

Does anyone have actual experience with any particular stock replica like this? I saw no flaws in the driver side unit, I figured maybe I was just unlucky with the passenger one.

I know that my original ones always accumulated condensation, but there was a small crack in the lens.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep. People buy absolute junk from China for a deep discounted price and wonder why the product feels/looks/performs so cheap. I would take the lens out of the china crap and oem lights, then butyl seal the clear lens to your factory OEM housing.
They claim to come with a 1 year warranty, so really I don't think I should expect them to fail on day 1.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I might have been mistaken about the condensation, but I'm not exactly sure what is actually happening. It's like every evening when the temperature changes and it gets cold, they seem to frost a bit on the inside at the same spot, but then it goes away after a while. Not sure if that's bad, or what.

I'll contact the seller and see what they say.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts