Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the focus, I have had two, one got wrecked, but the first one I never had as many problems as I am having with this second one.

Previously, the ac compressor and most pulleys along the belt system were replaced because they were damaged.

Now the AC works but now has:

-a faint burning smell
-works really good at high speeds but not at slow speeds
- turns to completely hot air and takes a bit to turn cold from a stoplight
-the AC doesn't work at all on settings 1 and 2, of course I never really use those settings

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
You need a blower motor resistor, and someone who knows how to work on AC. The blower motor resistor is what's keeping your lower speeds from working. The AC not working well at idle could be several things- most likely a clogged orifice tube. If you've recently had AC work done to it, then it is possible that it was overcharged. Pressure is directly relative to temperature, so too much refrigerant means lukewarm air.

I think the faint burning smell is related to one of your 2 problems- most likely the resistor. I could be wrong about that one, and it could be the switch, but the resistor problem is more serious. See if you smell anything burning with the fan on 4.

I'd like to have seen pictures of every accessory pulley being KOed- that's the first time I've seen that. An idler pulley or water pump, yes, but for everything else to go out at the same time is new. The belt is expected to go any time a pulley goes out- but not the AC compressor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much whynotthink! You are awesome!

Lol yea it was a costly situation that the pulleys went all at once. It looked like the previous owner had bottomed out and destroyed the lower pulleys and most of the upper ones had pieces missing, not sure how that happened, all I know is when the belt started shredding and we went to replace it we realized there was a much bigger problem when one of the pulleys had a big portion just come completely off. Looking at the rest we saw a lot of damage.

We actually bought it that way without knowing, had a friend look at it he claimed he worked on focuses, said it was fine. I fear for any focus he would have worked on.

I will try this and see if this fixes it.
Thank you again and have a nice night.
Time for me to go swimmin.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts