Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, sorry if this is the wrong place to put this. Here's my problem, sometimes when I quickly accelerate off a stop light, every light on my dash turns on for like a half a second, the heat stops, the stereo stops, and a message pops up that says "Hill start assist not available". Now, this doesn't happen all the time, only sometimes. Do you think it's a faulty ABS sensor? Any advice? Thanks (2012 SEL)

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Dunno, if it said "park assist malfunction" I'd point you toward the TCM - and mention that the warranty on them was extended to 10 yr. 150k.

Papaacer had a sensor & later an ABS issue, i'll send him this way to check on his symptoms when I see him.

Otherwise if you don't get answers here I'll move it to a MkIII section eventually.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Sounds to me like a faulty ABS pump/module. They are the same module. Mine would do it after I hit a curb bad and installed the wheel bearing wrong. Then my ABS and brake light stayed on. After that, my ABS, Downhill mode, Hillstart assist, and brake light turned on. Then, my TCM went out, and I got my TCM replaced by Ford and I then bought a Brake control module off ebay and replaced it. After I replaced it, I went to Ford to have it reprogrammed. My car has run beautifully ever since. You can read about both issues in extensive detail by clicking the links below. [thumb]
3 Month Recap Part 1 of 2 | FiveThirty
3 Month Recap Part 2 of 2 | FiveThirty

·
Registered
321 Posts
^^ That or you may have an issue with message broadcasts on the CAN bus. The instrument panel cluster, climate control and entertainment system make use of the HS-CAN, MS-CAN and I-CAN and what you're seeing could be them resetting due to a fault.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
^^ That or you may have an issue with message broadcasts on the CAN bus. The instrument panel cluster, climate control and entertainment system make use of the HS-CAN, MS-CAN and I-CAN and what you're seeing could be them resetting due to a fault.
My CAN system was down for a while, and they traced it back to 1. an SRS sensor that was causing high resistance and 2. A faulty ABS module

·
Registered
321 Posts
Agreed. However since the OP also mentions that the audio system shuts off, I suspect that other things could be involved here. The audio control module (ACM) talks to the BCM on the I-CAN and MS-CAN, using the instrument panel cluster (IPC) as a gateway. On the other hand, the ABS module interfaces on a separate bus, the HS-CAN and the only thing common between the ABS and the ACM is the BCM. I wonder if a reset on the HS-CAN due to an ABS module failure could effect the entire network and is not isolated only to that bus.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Well the faulty SRS sensor brought down the MS CAN causing my car to be unusable. My IPC would come up but show no info, and the car wouldn't crank. There was no communication between any of the MS CAN modules.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Most probably your faulty SRS sensor was either for the airbag or the seatbelt in which case the MS-CAN is used to report their status between the BCM and the IPC. The restraints control module (RCM) itself uses the HS-CAN.

You did say that the SRS sensor was causing high resistance. That would have caused instability on the bus due to a change in its impedance, which should be at 60 Ohms.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
First off, sorry if this is the wrong place to put this. Here's my problem, sometimes when I quickly accelerate off a stop light, every light on my dash turns on for like a half a second, the heat stops, the stereo stops, and a message pops up that says "Hill start assist not available". Now, this doesn't happen all the time, only sometimes. Do you think it's a faulty ABS sensor? Any advice? Thanks (2012 SEL)
Hi atech087,

Have you made an appointment with your dealer to get this checked out? Once you do, please let me know, along with your mileage. I'll see what I can do to help get this rolling.

Meagan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts