Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Not sure if i'm posting this in the right place or not. If so sorry.

My ZX3 has started making a noise that sounds like a belt squeling combined with a grinding noise that sounds like the brakes. From inside the car it sounds like it is coming from the driver side front wheel.

However, I've taken it to my mechanics and they are stumped. They say everything looks fine and that i will have to take it to ford.

my car is at 36,000 miles and i've owned the car for 2 months. I'd say it started a month after i had it. I've had the serpentine belt replaced and i believe it started after that. Funny thing is... when i took it to them for the noise the first time they replaced the brakes and it was fine for a few days. They put new brakes on it this time around and it didn't do a thing.

Has anyone heard of something like this?

Any help/ adviced would be great!

Thanks,

Pres

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
I have driven the car myself, and it seemed to be that TSB with the front stabiliser bar but I printed that out and he gave it to the shop. They whent through it and said there was no probelm, does the bar have a noticable defect or is the problem in the design and need to be changed out? Either way the shop whent through and made sure it was all tight and together, and its still doing it.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
I've had the serpentine belt replaced and i believe it started after that.

^^^ I would check the belt cover right at the bottom of the motor, its REAL tight there and if it was a little out of whack that might do it, OR..this may sound silly, but my car did it. The stupid inner fender well things can come loose and rub the tire at times, check that ,too.. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i will check the belt tomorrow and the inner fenders.

I thought it might of been the inner fenders. When i bought the car one of the screws was missing and i replaced and adjusted it. Perhaps when I did that it misaligned it somehow.

Thanks everyone. I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey everyone. I looked at the inner fender and it ok.

From driving it it seems to do it the worst if you turn the wheel 15 degrees to the right at around 25 to 30 miles an hour. Its not really noticable when turning to the left.

I might have to give in and take it to a ford dealership.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Maybe the power steering pump. You might not be able to hear it until you get one of those mechanic stethascope (i think i spelled it right) then place it on the pump an listen for any sqeaking. Just an Idea. had the same thing happen to my wifes KIA and I spent money on a water pump when it was the alternator.

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
check the oil level in the tranny, about the only thing i can think of off hand.

wait a minute, check the backing plates on your front brakes. my old focus did the same thing. pry them away a tad more than they are and see if that helps.
its hard to find this because it will look alright. may have bumped them in without realising it when they did the brakes, doesnt take much.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, Ford couldn 't get it in for a few days so another friend told me of a guy who used to work at ford that is now at mazda. So my focus is at mazda now. heh, funny.

i'

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, i took it to mazda. They called telling me that it was the steering knucke hitting the caliper because of a cross treaded bolt in a heated coiled hole.... you get the picture.

I called Trax tired and talked to my usual mechanic. He said it wasn't that and offered to call mazda and talk to them. He said they probably couldn't find it and were blaming it on that.

So i'm not sure yet if that means I need a new steering knuckle and caliper or what.... but i know i'm p'd off.

That was an hour ago. Haven't heard from either yet?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I think you mean 'Heli-coiled"

Has anyone suggest the wheel bearing? From some of your descriptions, it may be that..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts