Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I went to gas up and every 1/2 gallon or so the pump pops like the tank is full. I had to reclick the pump at least 20 times to get the tank full. This also happened last time I got gas. The gas station attendant said I have an air lock in my tank???

·
Registered
433 Posts
Well that's what I tell people. If pulling it out a little bit doesn't solve the problem, its certainly an air lock.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried 20 different ways of putting the nozzle in but it kept popping and also my check engine light is on (not sure if its related). So what causes the air lock??? Is a breather plugged or something???

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
when in doubt pull out.

Probably could have been just the pump.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Tank vent is the most likely cause.

Maybe the CEL is related, if it's something about an EVAP leak it certainly is.
Check what the code is and it might point you in the direction of the problem.

If not, try removing the vent tube and making sure it's clear.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
That would, or could, sound like a vacuum leak which could easily be from the charcoal canister ... which happens to be where the fill tube vent line runs to.

I can't recall the name of the part off hand but, I replace some device on my canister due to an EVAP leak ... and I'd taken the part apart to try and repair it and broke it. But I'd found my leak prior to damaging the part.
There is a rubber boot on the part and that boot was a little loose and air was seeping past it. A little RTV and it was fixed.
It's the only thing with an electrical connector on the charcoal canister.

Now if that's your exact problem, I can't say. But it might be worth checking out if nothing else.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
That would, or could, sound like a vacuum leak which could easily be from the charcoal canister ... which happens to be where the fill tube vent line runs to.

I can't recall the name of the part off hand but, I replace some device on my canister due to an EVAP leak ... and I'd taken the part apart to try and repair it and broke it. But I'd found my leak prior to damaging the part.
There is a rubber boot on the part and that boot was a little loose and air was seeping past it. A little RTV and it was fixed.
It's the only thing with an electrical connector on the charcoal canister.

Now if that's your exact problem, I can't say. But it might be worth checking out if nothing else.

Couldnt it also be a MAF sensor? since only one cylinder is running lean?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts