Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I recently picked up an '08 SE that has a loud ticking, or knocking noise coming from the engine.
It appears to have been run out of oil at some point. Can't quite decide if it's coming from the valve train, or a main/connecting rod bearing.
I'm figuring on pulling the engine, but any suggestions on how to proceed? Or could anyone point me in the direction of a thread that's talked about pulling an engine if there's one out there? I did a couple quick searches, but it came back with a bunch of posts that weren't related to pulling the engine.
I just ordered a shop manual off of ebay too.
Also, am I good for any Focus engine up to 2011 as a direct replacement?
Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat

First you would need to determine if replacement is needed, then you could look in the engine/trans swap section as another place for info.

"Tumble Flaps" in the intake are a common source of loud ticking when worn, mechanics stethoscope is handy to narrow things down.

"screwdriver trick" using anything long to touch the suspect area while holding the other end to your ear is mentioned often for a quick check.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My engine is ticking too. It was just a normal noise until I took it in for service at ford and it got louder after. I took it bam in and they said nothing was wrong

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
If there is no glitter in the oil, don't jump ahead to "I need a new motor" conclusions.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i would take it to mechanic first get a general idea
Agreed. Don't be hasty with a big ticket item like that. Maybe an oil change and oil pressure test. If it's got some worn bearings loud enough to knock it'll probably be be low.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I agree. My motor has a loud ticking noise and its completely unrelated to anything in the motor. If the motor starts and runs okay it's more than likely okay, even if it's loud

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I drained the oil and found a bit of sludge at the bottom of the pan. Lot's of glittering, small flakes that are not magnetic, looks like babbitt material to me.

Since this isn't my daily driver, and just takes up room in my garage, what the general consensus on fixing it, replace with a junkyard motor, or pull it and rebuild it? I haven't searched around much, but are there parts readily available to do a rebuild?
Next question, would I be able to pull the oil pan and replace the rod bearings with it still in the car? I saw an earlier post that made it sound possible, but I'm not sure if that was the same engine.
Thanks for any help!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
You should be able to find a 20 motor fairly cheap.

·
Registered
521 Posts
With a Focus it's most economical to get a salvage engine. The junk yards are loaded with these cars and eBay is laden with pulled engines ready to ship for just a few hundred dollars.

FYI, I'm curious to know: with the Duratec 2.0, are all the engines 2005-2011 interchangeable? I know the power steering assembly changed, and the intake manifold changed, but are the block and head castings the same? Bolt holes, etc?

Toby

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Should be, just use your bolt ons.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts