Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm pretty sure I have a bad top motor mount on the passenger side of my 2004 2.0 Zetec. For the first few minutes after starting the car it will deeply when idling, but the vibration goes away if I pull up on the motor mount. It also goes away after driving it for a few minutes, and seems to be much worse when the car is cold. I don't even notice it after the car warms up.

I just want to confirm the diagnosis before dropping $100 on a new motor mount. Anything more I can check or do I pull the trigger on a new engine mount?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,590 Posts
...goes away after driving it for a few minutes, and seems to be much worse when the car is cold.
Typical of mount that is going/gone bad.

With it idling, put a floor jack with a block of wood on it under the end of the oil pan nearest the mount. If the sound goes away with a slight jacking of the engine, it is bad.

Eyeball the other two (trans mount and torque strut mount) just to be on the safe side, but it is probably the pass mount.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Bad passenger side mount is super common. Pull the trigger.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Might as well do it now. I've left mine so long that my teeth rattle on a cold start. Doh!

It's an easy replacement too.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
For sure get a motorcraft/ford psm. Or use a poly one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts