Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking into the Eibach Pro and Sportline springs and shocks. The Pro has a 1.5(r) and 1.4(f) drop I believe. The Sportline has a 2.2(r) and 2.0(f) drop. What I am not sure of is what is going to be the main difference as far as ride goes. I have riden in a car with the Sportline and they were comfortable. Which is more stiff and is one going to be more "bouncy" than the other. I will be keeping my stock steelies with some sweet gunmetal hubcaps so I do not think I will have issues with rubbing on the Sportline.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Both come with dampers matched to the springs so I doubt either would be bouncy at all. The sportlines would be much stiffer as the dampers must be stiffer to accompany the shorter spring and the spring just having less travel than the Pro.

You shouldn't have any rubbing problems with the sportlines as you are keeping the stock wheels. Personally I would go with the Pro kit cause I like to be able to drive my car in more than an inch of snow. lol. It all depends on what you want as opposed to what you might need. Make a compromise and meet in between.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would it really be that bad in the snow. I look at it and say, "how much of a difference will that half inch be". However, if I get stuck in the snow it will be more like, "half an inch, I'm a moron". I want it to look the best and function the best. I guess I have to compromise. Buy both and swap to the pro in the winter months? I wish...

Thank you for the input and for the answer on which will be stiffer.

One more ? Is it recommended to get a camber kit for just a 1.5 dop?

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
With a 1.5" drop people typically don't do the camber kit from what I have read and seen on here. Although if it was me I would do it but thats just me liking to know my tires aren't going to wear pre-maturely you know?

And about the snow. I mean you gotta think. If there is 5" of snow on the ground it doesn't really mean your car will also ride 5" off the concrete. The cars tires will sink into it and really the clearance between the bottom of the car and the snow might only be 2 inches. Now I might be overly obsessive or worrisome but I just don't like being that close to the ground especially with the location of our D-tecs oil filters being right there behind the front bumper. Go over any substantial ice brick or something in the wrong spot and you risk puncturing it and leaking all your oil out.

I dunno. That might be a pretty extreme circumstance but thats just the kind of person I am. I think of all that might go wrong before I act typically. Plus I just like to drive up to the pass to Ski so thats where I am coming from.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
The main difference between the two springs (ignoring the drop difference) are the spring rates. The sportlines have a rather broad progressive rate while the pros are linear. Some people have reported that the initial rates on the sportlines are a little soft and end up getting stiff a little too quickly. This results in a quirky ride for some while other love it. But as mentioned a good shock is required for either. I like our pro-system a lot. Its comfortable for old people..... ahem...like me. My wife has never complained either and also loves to drive it when my son will let her. The ZX3 went from a good handling car to a great handling car.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No matter what I will definitely be getting shocks/struts. I am still stuck on what to get. Maybe I will just wait until after winter and see how bad it will be. Thanks for the input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts