Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any how-to threads on this subject? After reading through the section in my Haynes manual it looks easy peasy. 'Cept for one thing.

I don't have the long breaker bar/chain/block combo that it recommends to lever down the steering knuckle/a-arm assembly to release the stock strut. Also I can't forsee another use for such a contraption were I to go out and blow a $Bill on the components.

Any other ways around this? Seems like a read a bit about using a jack or something, but I can't find the thread.

Thanks
Jamie

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have one mine over and over again and I just use a heavy duty flathead screwdriver to pry it out. I have never had any problems out of em and I can do both sides now in about 30 mins

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Last time I did mine, I just laid underneath the control arm and grabbed it with both hands and pulled myself up and eventually my weight hanging off the arm popped it out of the spindle...just be careful, the ball joint will want to pop right back in if you don't watch it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
You're right it's tight.
I bang on the spindle with a plastic hammer , leave the 3 top nuts tight on the top plate , this will keep the stut all the way up .

if you want less pressure on the "A" arm you can unscrew the 3 bolts that hold the "A" arm itself on the scross member , the way the bushing is pressed ( the rear one on the arm ) is putting a good pressure 'Upward" when bolted on , this little extra can help you too....[:)]

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pro-Kit Install--Finished!

Yesterday we installed my Pro-Kit, thanks Wakeboarderjl, [thumb] your help was indespensible. Sure I could have done it myself, but in reality I'd probably still be fitting it.

What a difference, another one of those I wish I'd have done it sooner. It's bumpy, to be sure, but it handles so flat now, awesome! Thinking that I'll need to get some camber bolts, cuz my rear wheels definitely lean in at the top.

Couldn't be happier.

today.....focussport stealth install. (if I can dodge the furniture shopping expedition the gf has planned)[cool]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts