Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so im doing a custom exhaust on my car. i decided to prime the pipe to make it look better. but i noticed on the directions it said to cure it once its painted and then it had a spot that said "off the car: bake at 200 degrees 400 degrees and 600 degrees for different amounts of time. my question is what exactly does baking mean? ive never used primer for exhausts and dont want to do it wrong and it end up catching on fire. so what does it mean to bake it? and what do i have to do to cure it? or is curing not all that improtant?

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
You might be best off by sending the exhaust to someone who will coat it for you- whatever you want including ceramic inside and out- if you can afford it.

Now if you're a total cheapo like me, then simply sand off all the old rust, clean with alcohol, mineral spirits, or some other evaporative agent- and paint it. If this is clean aluminized steel, before painting sand lightly. Use barbecue grille paint which should be rated for 1500-2500F. I like Krylon brand myself.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so then its not something were i can use a wire brush tipped grinder to get all the loose crap off prime it and install it?

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
You can, but be careful that you don't remove too much metal. You live in OH, that car is 5 years old, you might consider a complete new exhaust. At least get some piping, and have it welded together.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
its exactly what it sounds like, you bake it in an oven. not worth it. get a custom exhaust made and it will be just fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts