Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for one of you service writers out there to give me an estimate for installing the OEM remote start kit. I posted this thread a while ago and no one bit. Let's try it again.

·
Registered
364 Posts
i was quoted $699, i haven't jumped on it.

also, for people who have titaniums with it... did you guys have to get another key fob? does the engine cut out when you open the door?

thought this thread would be a good one to get my questions answered. [cheers]

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was quoted $699, i haven't jumped on it.

[cheers]
Did that include the parts? I have the kit at the house, but heard the install is a stone-cold beatch.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Did that include the parts? I have the kit at the house, but heard the install is a stone-cold beatch.
yeah... i don't have the parts. that was with parts and install.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My neighbor works at Car Toys and he tells me you can get an aftermarket alarm w/remote start that will work with the factory fob and you won't have to bury a key or anything, either. That's what I plan to do after my experience with the factory alarm that came in my F150.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
364 Posts
My neighbor works at Car Toys and he tells me you can get an aftermarket alarm w/remote start that will work with the factory fob and you won't have to bury a key or anything, either. That's what I plan to do after my experience with the factory alarm that came in my F150.
i'd like the viper system which i can monitor the car on my phone with an ap. don't know how well that would work with the factory stuff though. i have keyless entry and push-to-start. i'd hate to lose keyless entry to gain remote start.

as of right now though (to my knowledge), the viper system doesn't work with the 2012 focus.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'll have to ask him which one, next time I talk to him. He always knows what he is talking about, though. He made it sound like it would arm when you press the factory fob lock button and disarm when you pull the handle to unlock the door. The Code alarm I installed in my truck will disarm if I use the keypad on the door.

I wonder if the nav system will work like lo-jack, to find your car if it gets stolen?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I will check today for you. The push button cars are really tough we have done a couple at the dealership I work at. I will get some pricing today. Are you a key start?? or a push button?

Aftermarket units scare me, I have seen some of the work installers do, and in can get ugly. Im not saying all after market people are hacks but I would much rather have a Ford tech install one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My understanding is if you have a factory installed remote start, you just have 1 key.

Dealer installed, there is a separate little key fob, like the size of a small usb stick with a button on it. That is what we have on our car.

I would probably reccomend a dealer install. It does sound like its a bit of a headache Our system was installed by an out of state dealer. Car was brought to a local dealer for us. They could not get it working by the time we came to pick up the car.

Brought the car back the following weekend for them to really dig into it, were given a loaner car on saturday (2012 sfe focus, nice mileage!). Was told yesterday they are going to replace the wiring harness for the system to try and fix it.

What a headache on a new car. Ironic that the one item that needs repair is one we didnt really want in the first place. Wife wants to be driving HER car, not the loaner.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I used to work at an audio shop, we installed remote start car alarms all the time. They ran $450-600 depending on features. We did auto page alarms that had a digital readout of internal temps, doors, window alarm, shock, proximity, heart rate finder.. They are much more supirior to stock alarms plus the key fob would vibrate or page within a mile of the car. The page worked in shopping malls and all that jazz.

When it comes to installing it on a 2012 that's upto the installers skill and alarm supplier support. A good installer car make (unsupported alarm) parts to get it done right with no issues.

I personally wouldn't even consider a stock alarm simply because they are more standard and easier to bypass/ disarm. (my stock proximity alarm is a simple one pull bypass). I'm not going to get into much detail here but an aftermarket alarm can be hidden, more confusing, better installed, etc...

My favorite alarm upgrade is a backup battery siren mounted in the cab under the steering wheel. This siren goes off in the cab at very annoying levels. It's a battery backup so if it's cut it continues to go off until the battery dies. Imagine a car thief stealing your car with this horn blaring in his face as he jacks the car.. Snips the wire and drives down the street with the windows up trying to conceal the car alarm sound... That just makes me smile.

Btw, an effective way to keep your car is to swap out hardware under your dash. Replace 8mm bolts with tourqex head screws, Phillips with others, multiple types to keep theifs changing tools... Some people put JB weld in bolt heads to make them that much harder to remove. Remember car thiefs don't strike at random (well good ones don't), they are going for your model car in your color. If you make your actual car less of a target or just annoying as hell to steal, they will move on. Thiefs have a small window to take your ride and will just move to the next one if you're lucky.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will check today for you. The push button cars are really tough we have done a couple at the dealership I work at. I will get some pricing today. Are you a key start?? or a push button?

Aftermarket units scare me, I have seen some of the work installers do, and in can get ugly. Im not saying all after market people are hacks but I would much rather have a Ford tech install one.
I'd really appreciate that. I have a Ti Hatch with Intelligent Access and Push Button start.

·
Registered
522 Posts
My car came with it installed (dealer install). It will run for 10 minutes than turn off. It also turns off when you open the car to get in. Stupid IMO but I guess there is a reason for it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Kind of funny, I am on the phone with FORD right now asking how the remote system operates. Surprise , surprise, they don't know even though it was a feature on my innvoice when I ordered my titanium.

I got two keys for my remote start.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ok here is what I found out today at work, our install tech has already done a few for both the key start and push button start cars. The Ford remote starts are retailed at

Key Start car remote start $245.71 labor at 2.5 hours
Push Button remote start $355.71 labor at 3.5

I am told that our cars are a little harder to deal with removing the trim panels etc.

If your dealer is like the one I work for we charge $60.00 per hour for labor on accessory installs for our customers. Some dealers may charge more its up to them.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I looked up my sticker and on my Titanium wiht push button start, dealer installed, it listed for $445.00 under optional equipment on the sticker.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok here is what I found out today at work, our install tech has already done a few for both the key start and push button start cars. The Ford remote starts are retailed at

Key Start car remote start $245.71 labor at 2.5 hours
Push Button remote start $355.71 labor at 3.5

I am told that our cars are a little harder to deal with removing the trim panels etc.

If your dealer is like the one I work for we charge $60.00 per hour for labor on accessory installs for our customers. Some dealers may charge more its up to them.
Thank you for the excellent info. I really appreciate your taking the time to do the research for me.[cheers]

·
Registered
130 Posts
I ordered my car with remote start. Is the dealer going to try and charge me additional money for the install? I don't remember reading anything about an additional installation fee.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts