Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did any of you buy the Ford prepaid service plans? Being new to buying a brand new car, I pretty much said no to all the "extras" except the extended warranty since this a new transmission type. But now I am wondering if I should go back and ask about those plans, if they are cost effective in the long run?

I am accustomed to doing my own repairs and maintenance such as spark plugs, belts, coolant flushes and I have replaced things ranging from starter motor on a Volvo S70 to brake pads... oil changes I now pay for since it's just as much to buy the oil and it's so messy. Now that I live in a condo where no car repairs are allowed, I won't be doing these things myself any more... it feels so strange I don't even know what the inside of my motor looks like!

·
Registered
364 Posts
i said no to everything... if you go to this thread:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265372

they go into great detail and also offer a website which many claim beats most, if not all deals the dealers give you on extended warranties.

i plan on getting an extended warranty before my last year is up on my 3yr/36000.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah we drive a lot of miles so I felt with an "experimental" transmission I'd feel better with the 100k mile warranty which we added on to the financed cost.

I'll go take a look at that thread, I have never paid dealer prices for service before.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yeah we drive a lot of miles so I felt with an "experimental" transmission I'd feel better with the 100k mile warranty which we added on to the financed cost.

I'll go take a look at that tread, I have never paid dealer prices for service before.
here's the skinny on the warranties that comes with the car:

Basic 3 year / 36,000 miles
Free Maintenance N/A
Drivetrain 5 year / 60,000 miles
Roadside 5 year / 60,000 miles
Rust 5 year / Unlimited miles

Basic Warranty: The basic warranty covers everything except items that are subject to wear and tear or replacement in the ordinary course of vehicle ownership, such as oil and air filters, wiper blades and brake pads. Tires and batteries are often excluded, but usually have their own warranty provided by the manufacturers of those items. Emissions equipment is required by Federal law to be covered for five years or 50,000 miles.

Drive Train Warranty: In some cases the drive train warranty continues after the basic warranty has expired. This part of the warranty covers most of the parts that make the vehicle move, including the engine, transmission, drive axles and driveshaft. Like the basic warranty, consumable parts such as hoses and belts are not covered. However, most of the internal parts of the engine, such as the pistons and bearings, which are also subject to wear and tear, are covered by the drive train warranty.

Roadside Assistance: Many manufacturers provide a service that will rescue you if your car leaves you stranded, even if it's your fault. Lock yourself our of your car? Run out of gas? Got a flat tire? A call to the manufacturer's toll-free number will result in somebody showing up who can help you out. There is a huge variance in these programs so check ahead of time to see what is covered and what you will have to pay for.

Rust or Corrosion Warranty: Rust or Corrosion Warranty: This warranty covers the vehicle's sheet metal, and protects you from rust and corrosion that are severe enough to cause a hole - surface rust is not covered. However, if you keep your car washed and waxed rust shouldn't be a problem.
source:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2012/ford/focus/titanium_hatchback/3340/warranty/

i drive >10,000mi a year. the warranty that comes with the car from factory will cover me throughout its life. for anyone who drives greater distances and will wear out the factory warranty before the 3yr/5yr mark, extended warranties could be a good deal. for me? i can wait. :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Here is what I don't get about the extended warranty, It starts from the day you purchase the car. Ford already gives you a 3 year warranty and then 5 years I think it was on powertrain. So why pay for something that is free for 3 years. I got my money back and it was applied to the payoff amount of the car. Look into the warranty right before the factory ones expires.

Montana

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was asking more about the prepaid service plan (eg pays in advance for brake pads etc) not the extended warranty, which I already bought.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Oh never heard of that, Get your money back on the warranty anyway, It is alot cheaper to buy it from online company's that are recommended here on this site.

Montana

·
Registered
364 Posts
I was asking more about the prepaid service plan (eg pays in advance for brake pads etc) not the extended warranty, which I already bought.
dealer tried to push those on me too. i didn't want to add any more to my monthly.

there's a thread going on about when to change your oil (some say to do it when your vehicle tells you to [10,000mi?], others say every 6,000mi. depending on how often you decide to do preventative maintenance will determine whether what the dealer is offering is cost effective. of course if you change your oil every 3,000mi, drive 6,000mi a month... and change the brakes every other oil change.. what the dealer is offering would be good.

i'd always want to make sure the dealer is on the losing end of the deal they are offering me. [grinking]

p.s.

could the dealer deny doing preventative maintenance if the customer asks for it? like say it's too early to do something? what if i want an oil change every 500mi? :p

·
Registered
86 Posts
dealer tried to push those on me too. i didn't want to add any more to my monthly.

there's a thread going on about when to change your oil (some say to do it when your vehicle tells you to [10,000mi?], others say every 6,000mi. depending on how often you decide to do preventative maintenance will determine whether what the dealer is offering is cost effective. of course if you change your oil every 3,000mi, drive 6,000mi a month... and change the brakes every other oil change.. what the dealer is offering would be good.

i'd always want to make sure the dealer is on the losing end of the deal they are offering me. [grinking]

p.s.

could the dealer deny doing preventative maintenance if the customer asks for it? like say it's too early to do something? what if i want an oil change every 500mi? :p
The contract they tried to sell me basically said oil change/ service every 7500 miles, for a total of 10 services over the life of the contract. I declined. My current vehicle never had a warranty (got it used/ several years old).
A different dealer in town offers "free maintenance for life" on any car you buy from them, I believe there is a certain interval though.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The contract they tried to sell me basically said oil change/ service every 7500 miles, for a total of 10 services over the life of the contract. I declined. My current vehicle never had a warranty (got it used/ several years old).
A different dealer in town offers "free maintenance for life" on any car you buy from them, I believe there is a certain interval though.
always a catch. the dealer told me about preventative maintenance being covered, but never stated an interval... which is where i think the key is. depending on what they get you on the hook for, you could possibly be paying more than what you could if you go to specialized shops.

dunno how many dealers would sell anything at true cost, unless their goal is to just get you on their lot again... i've had some friends go to lots for preventative maintenance and come back home in different cars. [histerical]

·
Registered
291 Posts
Did any of you buy the Ford prepaid service plans? Being new to buying a brand new car, I pretty much said no to all the "extras" except the extended warranty since this a new transmission type. But now I am wondering if I should go back and ask about those plans, if they are cost effective in the long run?

I am accustomed to doing my own repairs and maintenance such as spark plugs, belts, coolant flushes and I have replaced things ranging from starter motor on a Volvo S70 to brake pads... oil changes I now pay for since it's just as much to buy the oil and it's so messy. Now that I live in a condo where no car repairs are allowed, I won't be doing these things myself any more... it feels so strange I don't even know what the inside of my motor looks like!
With the problems we have had I went ahead and bought the extend premium service plan; There are several items on the vehicles that will be quite expensive to replace out off pocket. I took out the $100 deductible plan for bumper-to-bumper coverage. Some of our problems:

1.) Our MTS system went down, no navigation, no radio, no nothing but a blank screen at 1,799 miles.

While we could not listen to our radio, we noticed the following: a high low humming sound from the right front side of the vehicle between 55 and 70 MPH. Below or above those speeds, it goes away. Ford has no solution yet and several of the people posting on Focus Frantics forum are having the same problem. In for service @ 3,000, 4,965, 6,998 & 8,327 with no resolution of the problem. We now have 10,200 miles on our Focus Titanium. We have lived with the same problem since August of 2011.
2.) Our driver seat control popped a fuse; I replaced and reported it during the above service visit.
3.) The front driver seat automatic positioning control went out @ 6,988 miles
4.) We are having our oil consumption documented and be have been losing oil. It is not from an oil leak we hope it is due to engine break-in and seating of component parts in the engine.

So yes I would opt for the extended warranty plan.[headbang]

·
Registered
291 Posts
Here is what I don't get about the extended warranty, It starts from the day you purchase the car. Ford already gives you a 3 year warranty and then 5 years I think it was on powertrain. So why pay for something that is free for 3 years. I got my money back and it was applied to the payoff amount of the car. Look into the warranty right before the factory ones expires.

Montana
Good observations. However what you are really paying for is the miles not years. I added 5 years or 64,000 miles of bumper-to-bumper coverage on my Titatium. If any one of the major componnenets go bad that will be minimum $500 to $2800.

Think about if your MTS system Navagation or computer goes out, $2,500.

Transmission is about $3750. All I will pay is a $100 deductable. I am happy ans secure knowing no mater what I am covered.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Good observations. However what you are really paying for is the miles not years. I added 5 years or 64,000 miles of bumper-to-bumper coverage on my Titatium. If any one of the major componnenets go bad that will be minimum $500 to $2800.

Think about if your MTS system Navagation or computer goes out, $2,500.

Transmission is about $3750. All I will pay is a $100 deductable. I am happy ans secure knowing no mater what I am covered.
great way of looking at it. for someone who doesn't drive a lot of miles and can live out the factory warranty, they can ride it out (get the esp later). for someone who uses the car as a serious commuter and will kill of the factory warranty before the years are up, it may be good insurance to get the esp early.

i'm on the boat where my commute is short with only occasional road trips to visit family here and there during the year. the factory warranty is fine for me. as well as not having to opt. for the prepaid service plans.

everyone's situation is different. [cool]

·
Registered
291 Posts
I do have a question. If you wait to purchase the extended warranty toward the end of your factory warranty, is the cost the same or higher than if you bought it when it was new? It is basically an insurance policy.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I do have a question. If you wait to purchase the extended warranty toward the end of your factory warranty, is the cost the same or higher than if you bought it when it was new? It is basically an insurance policy.
It goes up the more miles you have on the car. That's another reason that getting ESP early can be cheaper in the long run. It all depends on what your plan is and how you drive the car.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The best i understand the extended warranty is the same price inside of the first year or under 12,000mi.
Once it is after the smaller of the two, then the price goes up.

The extended Ford warranty is an Ok deal, considering most of the aftermarket ones not by a factory usually suck, and are basically rip offs.
The regular dealer price is very inflated. The price from some Ford internet dealers is up to $1,000 less.

Like i bought the Ford warranty when I bought the car. but $50 deduct, 36,000mi for 7 years premium coverage and paid $1400..
I cancelled it, because i could get $0 zero deductable, first day free rental, 48,000 mi for $625. from a (different) LOCAL Ford dealer when i showed them the internet Ford dealer offer.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The best i understand the extended warranty is the same price inside of the first year or under 12,000mi.
Once it is after the smaller of the two, then the price goes up.

The extended Ford warranty is an Ok deal, considering most of the aftermarket ones not by a factory usually suck, and are basically rip offs.
The regular dealer price is very inflated. The price from some Ford internet dealers is up to $1,000 less.

Like i bought the Ford warranty when I bought the car. but $50 deduct, 36,000mi for 7 years premium coverage and paid $1400..
I cancelled it, because i could get $0 zero deductable, first day free rental, 48,000 mi for $625. from a (different) LOCAL Ford dealer when i showed them the internet Ford dealer offer.
Did you ever get a price for the prepaid service plan? I have thought about getting one (along with the extended warranty). My previous car was a MINI and it came with service for three years. I got use to never having to pay for anything and kind of like that. Even if the cost is a wash or slightly higher then if I paid as I needed it, it may be worth it to me.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I did get the ESP for my car (6 years or 120K km). All in all 1400$ if I am not mistaken. The only thing I'll have to pay from my pocket in the next 6 years are the tires (winter/summer) and their alignment. They said the service on my Focus should be at 12 000 km or 6 month, that equals 12 services on the car (wippers change each year included). I think it pretty much comes on par with the sum I'd have to pay if I go to service myself. I am not a DIY guy, so I thought good to have ESP plan.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I did get the ESP for my car (6 years or 120K km). All in all 1400$ if I am not mistaken. The only thing I'll have to pay from my pocket in the next 6 years are the tires (winter/summer) and their alignment. They said the service on my Focus should be at 12 000 km or 6 month, that equals 12 services on the car (wippers change each year included). I think it pretty much comes on par with the sum I'd have to pay if I go to service myself. I am not a DIY guy, so I thought good to have ESP plan.
The ESP is an extended warranty. The maintenance plan (oil changes and such) is separate. Did you get both of them?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The ESP is an extended warranty. The maintenance plan (oil changes and such) is separate. Did you get both of them?
Yes. Both of them. Sorry for not being precise the first time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts