Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I recently picked up a well used 02 SVTF with the intention of turning it into a track day car. It is bone stock except for the K&N air filter and aftermarket projector-style headlamps. I am looking for some advice on what I need to upgrade to make it track worthy. I have read through a few threads that point out the failure points like the wheel bearing, poor performing oil cooler, and no real cooling for the power stearing fluid. I am open to any and all recommendations for upgrades, but would like to here anyone's opinion on cost-effective upgrades and preventative measures.

Thanks.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
First thing to do is check the rules/recommendations of the sanctioning body for the track day lapping sessions you want to participate in. You'll get a LOT of good hints from their requirements.

Maint. up to date, checked through THOROUGHLY nose to tail, fresh quality brake fluid & a set of track pads/good rotors to swap on at the track.

Appropriate set of tires should go without saying.

Timing belt on the SVT shouldn't be questionable as any failure there will cost you major engine work. Fresh oil & filter, and don't THINK of running that to a normal change interval afterwards.

·
Super Moderator
9,527 Posts
I moved this to the "Road Racing & Rally" section because I feel that these people can better help prepare you for a day at the track because they have first hand experience at it. If you meant Auto-x racing, I will gladly move this to that section instead. Just PM me if you need this moved.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
With any sort of organized event involving machinery, your choices get dictated by the rules of whatever class you are in, within the sanctioning body's rulebook. Correctly functioning stock is where to start until you know what you can and should do after participating in several events.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts