Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so this all started 2 years ago but now its breaking the bank. I have a 03 zx3 and after 2 or 3 years from buying it new one of the low beams went out. I figured this was fine because its at least 2 years old. Then a couple weeks later the other one goes, no big deal. Well after only a month the first one goes out again and it keeps going back and forth. Well at first it was a simple $10 fix. Well to make a long story short i upgraded to the SVT HIDs and now both those low beams went out after a month of install. At $80 a bulb its become a serious problem.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
whoa are you sure you want to be talking about......you know....your premature......lol just kidding. Definitly sounds like you have a problem have you checked the wiring of your headlights and I mean follow it all the way to the power distribution block to check for any fraying or melting/grounding of the wires? I kinda had the same problem but no where near has severe has you just dicribed. Good luck hopfully you'll just find a wire that is too close to a heat source and is just grounding out a little and is a easy fix cause electrical problems are the worse!

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
And make sure you didn't touch the bulb on the install. You oil from your fingers will kill it. Its either that, a wiring issue as above, or severe vibration.

·
FoFo Lover.
2,884 Posts
It's probably a wiring issue....but if you'd like you can give me your svt HID setup and I'll get you some mach a likes that use regular bulbs again. ;)

Welcome to the boards.

·
Registered
16 Posts
x2 on the fingers touchn' the blubs i did that on the frist set of silverstars i bought lasted about a month.

by the way are you in Goergetown CA i saw rubicon and was wondering cuse we have a norcal forum too.

welcome bro!

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Check the alternator voltage.....if you're running too high, the headlight bulbs go first. My '06 seems to run around 13.8v most of the time, when the outside temperature is around 80F.

A Nissan I got a few years ago also burned headlights frequently. The alternator voltage ran around 15V, much of the time. A different alternator fixed the problem. No more burned headlights...

·
Registered
47 Posts
The same thing happened to me...I traced my headlight wiring and could find nothing. When I pulled back the carpet in the trunk though (tailights were on the same circuit)...I found the culprit...I had a wire that was shorting against the body. A little electrical tape and some wire loom and I have not burned out a bulb since.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
x2 on the fingers touchn' the blubs i did that on the frist set of silverstars i bought lasted about a month.

by the way are you in Goergetown CA i saw rubicon and was wondering cuse we have a norcal forum too.

welcome bro!
No, I'm from Rubicon Wi. Lol, A small farming town in south east Wisconsin. We have 3 bars no gas station and the cows out number the people 100 to 1.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's probably a wiring issue....but if you'd like you can give me your svt HID setup and I'll get you some mach a likes that use regular bulbs again. ;)

Welcome to the boards.
After some more research I found out i have HID machs. Not the SVTs. Ill trade anyone with the real st170s. I'm not sure if there worth more or not, but I really like the way those look.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts