Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious as to what parts people think will be coming out first and who we think will be making them?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it'll be Injen with an intake, then exhausts will pop up, then tunes, then body parts.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hopefully EcuTek will jump on this platform for the tuning. I emailed EcuTek, they have no intentions on tuning for the RS. Who's the go to for the ST? Cobb?

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
Hopefully Injen doesn't make an intake. I haven't seen anything decent from them on the last few platforms I've had. They seem to just toss something out there early to get the early sales as opposed to having a proven design.

Cobb will definitely be on the platform, though I think the majority of the custom tuning will still come from those that have supported and embraced e-tuning such as FreekTune, Panda Motorworks, Mountune, etc. While Cobb does do custom tuning, the brunt of their work is in getting the device, canned tunes, and parts out to the masses.

If this follows in similarly to the ST models, the first thing that will need to go will be the intercooler. That and a custom tune will net some pretty good and consistent power.

·
So mote be it
8,889 Posts
I think some of it will depend on how good the stock stuff is. I could see down pipe, intercooler, exhaust and tuning come out (at least thats what i want to see, that and dyno pre and post tuning [:)].) Bushing/mounts seem to be popular and quick to market as well, again depends on how stiff and good the oem stuff is.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Modifying turbo cars is so easy. Intake, ported manifold/throttle body, full exhaust, injectors, fuel pump, E85, tune. I think I read somewhere that the hot side is integrated into the exhaust manifold? Just port out the stock manifolds and use larger impellers. Here's hoping the internals are beefy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm guessing outside of stuff that crosses over from the current platform that it will be engine parts that the mustang will be sharing with it...stuff like turbo, cams, head options, etc. I know the mustang will have a lot of aftermarket support and the RS may piggyback off of some of the internally upgradable items and a few bolt on items also.

........OR, Ken Block and crew may have some plans for it....which I think is very possible from his product line, he has the fan base to make it happen...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Since the engine is similar to the Mustang, I would think that Ford Racing will have some stuff readily available.
Same for the suspension bits since the chassis looks a lot like the Focus. Wheels too but that will depends on the brakes. Personally, I'd rather have 17" wheels or 18" worse case. 19" is just... No.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Since the engine is similar to the Mustang, I would think that Ford Racing will have some stuff readily available.
Same for the suspension bits since the chassis looks a lot like the Focus. Wheels too but that will depends on the brakes. Personally, I'd rather have 17" wheels or 18" worse case. 19" is just... No.
17" wheels won't fit over the front brakes (350 mm -13.78" front rotors), and the rear rotors are bigger than the ST also. 18" is the minimum size, but the ST wheel won't fit allegedly without at least a 5-6mm spacer which is not really a good idea. You'd be better off with a set of ET40-ET50 wheels assuming they would clear on an 18" diameter, but the car is designed around those 19" wheels for it's performance characteristics.

The engine is similar to the Mustang, but not quite like the calibrations would be interchangable:

Unique powertrain for high performance
EcoBoost technology powers nearly every new Ford vehicle. Projected to deliver well in excess of 315 horsepower, the 2.3-liter EcoBoost engine for the all-new Focus RS shares its fundamental structure with the all-aluminum four-cylinder engine in the all-new Mustang. But this engine is significantly upgraded through a comprehensive package of design changes.

Increased output is generated by a new low-inertia twin-scroll turbocharger with larger compressor that delivers significantly greater airflow, along with a much bigger intercooler to maximize charge density. Engine breathing is enhanced through a less restrictive intake design, and a large-bore high-performance exhaust system with an electronically controlled valve in the tailpipe helps optimize the balance of back pressure and noise output.

The cylinder head is produced from an upgraded alloy material capable of withstanding higher temperatures, and is mounted on a more robust head gasket with improved thermal capability. The cylinder block employs stronger high-tensile cast-iron liners.

Engine cooling has been given the highest priority. Engineers created additional space within the front of the vehicle to house a significantly larger radiator pack – the biggest ever fitted to a Focus – that provides the level of cooling demanded for hard circuit use.

Meticulous calibration ensures the power unit delivers excellent low-end responsiveness with a powerful mid-range pull, climbing to a free-revving top end up to a maximum rev limit of 6,800 rpm.

Inspiring performance demands an inspiring soundtrack. Ford Performance engineers have tuned the RS to deliver a rewarding and sporty sound character in spirited driving, with the distinctive burbles and pops that are an RS signature.

“This very special 2.3-liter EcoBoost unit will inspire drivers as they feel the surge of the turbo, and reward them as they take it to redline – all delivered with a stirring sound guaranteed to put a smile on your face,” said Pericak.
https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2015/03/03/all-new-focus-rs-makes-global-debut.html

It has an upgraded turbocharger with a revised twin scroll housing and a larger compressor, a revised cylinder head to withstand higher temperatures and pressures for more performance, more robust head gasket, stronger cast iron cylinder liners etc....

·
Registered
68 Posts
so then with the RS and mustang sharing motors... Will we see 900hp plus RS's.. and if so what will the breaking point of the AWD system.. will it handle 1000hp plus to able to put the beat down on the Subi's and EVO's..

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
so then with the RS and mustang sharing motors... Will we see 900hp plus RS's.. and if so what will the breaking point of the AWD system.. will it handle 1000hp plus to able to put the beat down on the Subi's and EVO's..
I honestly think in stock form, it has the ability to take out the Subie's and matches the EVOs.

Only time will tell, once they are out.

Ray

·
Registered
95 Posts
I drove a Subaru WRX at the Arizona auto show (Not the STI) and it was ok with the base being 220 HP out of their 2.0l. Then i drove the Mustang EcoBoost and was surprised by the power (scared the crap out of the guy as i powered through a left hand turn sideways) ... That got me thinking about the 40 more HP and Torque in the RS and should be about 200 lbs. lighter.... i believe it is going to be wicked awesome in the stock platform. Maybe Shelby will develop a package and push it up to the 500 HP range?

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
I have driven the 2015 WRX and a 2014 MitsuEVO at AutoX from some of the drivers who let me test it out.

And Some of the guys were saying that the new RS should be following the EVO turn ability. I am looking forward to seeing if that's truth.

Once I get my hands on one, I am taking it to our local AutoX and giving it a test through. For it will be my next AutoX Stock car. :)

Ray

·
Registered
25 Posts
from past experience, most 2.3L engine can be boosted (reliably DD) around 350lbft without major issues. Anything go past would toll most block related components. You pay to play. I must be getting old, finding 350hp/lbft is plenty for me on garden state laced with statetroopers every couple miles or so. If I am not dragging the car on a straightline, where else can I practically using all the ponies? That's just me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts