Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new :)
I guess I'll share a little info on me? I'm Chelsea. 17. Yesterday I bought an 04 SVT. It's my 2nd car - I had a 94 MX-6, and RIGHT AFTER I got my tint redone (it had lint in the driver window and wrinkles in the rear windshield) I totalled it. I didn't even get 50 feet away from the tint place and a mini van turned out in front of me. I'm ok now.. I'm still not too into driving yet (I've been driving my moms 07 Fusion since). It busted my motor, tranny, windshield, everything pretty much... the guy who did it got put in jail bc he had 3 warrants out for his arrest, he was driving on a suspended license, and he got a ticket for failure to give me the right of way. If you want my cardomain, I'll give it to you. But so far I don't have pics of my car up, just one that looks like it :) I should be picking it up at the end of this week, it's getting a sunroof installed, new front bumper, and all the service done to it. I deleted my MX-6's page bc it kept kicking me offline for some reason :/

Anyways, I haven't been having luck in the tint area and I was wondering if the precut tint was any good? Or should I call and make an appointment with the last guy who did my tint? (he wasn't going to do my MX-6 windows because he said the windows were shaped weird, almost like a bubble)
And what's the deal with the tint stuff for taillights? :) Because I'm definately blacking them out.

I hope ya'll are ready for me. I'm going to be asking a lot of questions. :)

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
I will sell you my stock tail lights so you can practice on them.

also its niteshade I think you have to order it online.

and btw Welcome to FF!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And I can run to Pull-A-Part this Sunday and look around at what they have.. if they don't have anything I'll hit you up.

·
Registered
504 Posts
i got my tails painted, not nightshaded. Light still shines thru no prob and its much more durable.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
i got my tails painted, not nightshaded. Light still shines thru no prob and its much more durable.
Throw some pics of your painted tails up here please! Did you mix with a clear coat, or just do a really light coat?

I would recommend that you use the nighshade and a couple of coats of clear coat to protect them from fading. Go get yourself a pair from the junkyard to practice on, it isn't that hard. You can order the nighshade through massive. Here's the link [welcome] to FF!!

https://ssl.perfora.net/www.massive...nid=1548d040d38ba93/shopdata/index.shopscript

·
Registered
142 Posts
always use a reputable tint place, ebay precut = crap. nightshaded tails is hot
welcome to FF

·
Focus Enthusiast
3,002 Posts
I'd always recomend letting a pro shop do your tint, and using a high quality tint with high metailic content. Of course, do what fits your budget best.
As far as tiniting your tailights goes, using a product called nightshades made by VHT is pretty popular, though just this weekend I was reading about having a shop mix a small amount of black into clear coat and spray your parts with that, apparently it comes out very well if done right.

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
Go to a tint shop. It's much better results and they often offer warranties to their work if anything goes awry.

For the tails niteshade is what alot of people use.

I wrote a how to with tons of pictures for examples kinda weird no one posted it.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160417

That's what alot of people end up doing as well as myself, it's not hard and the results are fantastic.

Painting them IS an option but you can't just lay black paint. You would need to have the paint custom mixed with clear in it to make the paint more translucent so that light passes through it correctly. Will be a bit more durable but you will pay more to have it done at a shop or to buy the materials yourself.

I honestly would not go with the black tail light covers. They let less light pass through then my niteshaded tails which are black as night.

·
Registered
235 Posts
That statement about the covers letting less light through that Nightshades is an opinion sir. I personally had both, nightshaded on my old ZX3 and covers on my new SVT, and the covers are more luminous in my opinion. Plus, after my friend got pulled over for his Expedition tails being night shaded too heavily, I opted for the covers so I could go back to stock to pass the fix it ticket, and back to tinted in all of 30 seconds of work. Thats an option that nightshaded owners don't have, other than using a paint stripper or an equivalent to remove the Nightshade, than reapply later.

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
Well judging by her posted location she should have no issues. I live in bowling Green, ky.

This summer i spent almost as much time in TN all around the state with no issues whatsoever. Drove by several cops, state boys, and law enforcement never once pulled over except for when i was sporting one headlight. lol

Opinion or not, i think the covers are over priced for the add security. True they pop off. But they are not cheap. Also the pick is the LED tail correct? They would make more light through the covers or niteshade. Though swapping the bulb for an LED bulb would yield much much more light and still keep the stock housing.

Everyone has opinions. I just think if you want the best effect with the least amount of hassle niteshade is actually better. Mine have a red hue to them in the day time. Because they can never be 100% black. Also with 1 can of niteshade she could do all her stuff. Grille, sidemarkers, and tails and third brake lamp for a fraction of the cost.

Just saying she won't have an issue with the popo.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sorry, the tail on the left is a stocker with a blackout, the one on the right is a Eurostar with no cover. (Not picking, just clarifying if anyone else sees the comparison)

·
Focus Enthusiast
3,002 Posts
and of course, the original poster should check all local, state and federal laws prior to modifing their vehicle to make sure everything is legal.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry, the tail on the left is a stocker with a blackout, the one on the right is a Eurostar with no cover. (Not picking, just clarifying if anyone else sees the comparison)
I looked at yours, and they're nice, but it's a whole lot more than I'm willing to pay for :/ And I'd have to pay for shipping.

I bought some clear spray paint because I was planning on doing all red tails on my MX-6, which didn't get to happen :/ I had to buy the candy apple red transparent paint online somewhere, and I knew how to clean the taillights and everything. Does Autozone have the nightshade stuff or does it have to be ordered online too?

And I will go to a professional and get my tint, but after I get money.. (we're still getting money in from my wreck, and it's all going to pay off a loan -$15k - and whatever is left is mine) so it may take a while :/

·
Registered
45 Posts
i have the precut taillight tint for my car give me till tomarrow and ill get a few pics up for ya

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
Autozone won't have it.

I know massive one of the sponsers here had it in stock last time i check on their site. I would start there personally.

Also if your looking for a black out look IMO the film will be very hard to do black out and not reduce the light far greater then the translucent paint will.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts