Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm reading that some of these came pre wires fog lights. I got the lower grille and lights in. If mine is pre wired where would the wires be hiding?

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,121 Posts
Some are just hiding or dangling. Others are just wrapped of tied onto the subframe. Mine didn't have any, so I had to buy the whole kit.

·
Breathing. Alive?
3,108 Posts
I don't know exactly where they go, you'd need to remove some parts or put the car on a lift to see, but when I pulled out my fog housings, the wires seemed to go upwards into the car. Try to get under there with some jack stands and see what you can find.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I'm looking to do the mod myself here next weekend on my '07 SE. I am hoping that it was included but so far my initial checks are coming up empty. Tomorrow morning I think I'll put the car up on jack stands, remove the driver side wheel and lining and see if I can get in there. It will probably be easier to do it that way than removing the splash guard completely. Or would it be easier to remove the grill and one of the headlamps (driver side)? I think that will be easier than the tire and liner, but want to make sure that I will have access to see all places where it could be located.

Am I looking for a single plug that would connect to the wiring harness or am I hoping that the entire harness assy is already installed with the two plugs just tied up somewhere???

As for removing the fog deletes and installing the lamp assy's/fog surrounds, can I do it with the splash guard removed or is the entire splash guard AND front bumper removal required?

Thanks all

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,121 Posts
I'm looking to do the mod myself here next weekend on my '07 SE. I am hoping that it was included but so far my initial checks are coming up empty. Tomorrow morning I think I'll put the car up on jack stands, remove the driver side wheel and lining and see if I can get in there. It will probably be easier to do it that way than removing the splash guard completely. Or would it be easier to remove the grill and one of the headlamps (driver side)? I think that will be easier than the tire and liner, but want to make sure that I will have access to see all places where it could be located.

Am I looking for a single plug that would connect to the wiring harness or am I hoping that the entire harness assy is already installed with the two plugs just tied up somewhere???

As for removing the fog deletes and installing the lamp assy's/fog surrounds, can I do it with the splash guard removed or is the entire splash guard AND front bumper removal required?

Thanks all
I didn't have any on mine and I don't know if you could look up your VIN number to see if it was somehow eligible for having these prewired. I don't know how many came prewired. When I installed mine I had to take the driver side wheel off, the wheel lining, and just to be sure I took the headlights and grill off. Cleaned under there while I had them off. PLUS having the wheel and liner off when you have to drill through the car its a whole lot easier.

Im sure you could search to see where the plugs are hidden but a lot will say that they are on the subframe somewhere.

This is coming from an MK1 standpoint. You shouldn't have to remove anything. The lower grill just has clips so lift up on bottom and pull down on top, it isn't easy by any means, and a little aggravating.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I didn't have any on mine and I don't know if you could look up your VIN number to see if it was somehow eligible for having these prewired. I don't know how many came prewired. When I installed mine I had to take the driver side wheel off, the wheel lining, and just to be sure I took the headlights and grill off. Cleaned under there while I had them off. PLUS having the wheel and liner off when you have to drill through the car its a whole lot easier.

Im sure you could search to see where the plugs are hidden but a lot will say that they are on the subframe somewhere.

This is coming from an MK1 standpoint. You shouldn't have to remove anything. The lower grill just has clips so lift up on bottom and pull down on top, it isn't easy by any means, and a little aggravating.
Free,

Are you saying that my fog light deletes can be removed from the front of the car? I don't have to remove my splash guard/wheel liner/headlamps to remove them? I thought that they may have had some hardware from the inside that kept them from coming out either forward or backward?

·
Registered
611 Posts
On 05-07 models to access the fog light panels you can do it from below the car (on my 06 ZXW I didn't even jack the car up did it with the car on the ground), you will have to remove the lower bumper splash shield if there is one, once that is out the fog light delete covers are held in by 2 13mm (i think) nuts and once those are removed you can install the fog lights bezels then the fog lights. The wiring, if it exists, will be a 2 prong connector either hanging down or tied/taped up that would be right behind and maybe above where the fog lights are. One you got the lights in you can go and install the headlight switch assembly with the fog light switch control in it, turn it to park or headlights and pull it out and it should work. The connectors will look like the picture below:

·
Registered
176 Posts
On 05-07 models to access the fog light panels you can do it from below the car (on my 06 ZXW I didn't even jack the car up did it with the car on the ground), you will have to remove the lower bumper splash shield if there is one, once that is out the fog light delete covers are held in by 2 13mm (i think) nuts and once those are removed you can install the fog lights bezels then the fog lights. The wiring, if it exists, will be a 2 prong connector either hanging down or tied/taped up that would be right behind and maybe above where the fog lights are. One you got the lights in you can go and install the headlight switch assembly with the fog light switch control in it, turn it to park or headlights and pull it out and it should work. The connectors will look like the picture below:
Also check the relay is fitted

·
Registered
611 Posts
Will this work if my car does not have the harness?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/put-230004hw/reviews

I still need to check but if it doesn't have it then I will need to get one. Also, I need to find the switch too.
That will not work with the factory style fog lights as the connectors for 9004 bulbs that harness is for and the H11 bulbs the 05-07 Focus fog lights have are different. There is probably also a proper fog light harness with that is setup for the H11 bulbs made by somebody, if not shouldn't be to hard to wire something up, just be sure to use a relay so the switch only drives the relay and not the fog light bulbs directly. There is probably a forum thread on wiring up fog lights in 05-07 vehicles, try searching for it.

Also note the 9004 bulbs that are listed for the harness you linked to are dual filament headlight bulbs, not the single filament fog light bulb.

Reactions: Gudziel

·
Registered
890 Posts
Great info, pcordes1979. Thanks.

Yeah, I'm going to look around. I may not even need it. My luck, I will! Thanks again. rep point your way!

·
Breathing. Alive?
3,108 Posts
You could also connect the fogs straight to the headlights so that once those are on, the fogs come on too.

·
Registered
890 Posts
You could also connect the fogs straight to the headlights so that once those are on, the fogs come on too.
Not very keen on that idea. Thanks though. I'd like to set them up as daytime running lights, if possible. Either way, I'd like them to be separate from the headlamps. In the end, it would be nice to have them on no matter if my high beams were on or off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts