Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was under the impression that the pre recall fuel pumps did not have a sock on the side like this fuel pump has. The fuel pump was working fine when I pulled it the reason I pulled it is I had gelled ethanol in the bottom of the tank from sitting. If this is a pre recall fuel pump I plan on replacing.
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
16,056 Posts
Pull the top off and look inside, often you get a super surprise inside. You'll know if you have it when you get inside.

They can look pretty good on the outside and be absolutely horrible inside.

Really should change it anyway now that you are that far. Flex the filter sock a bit, if sitting in phase separated fuel they often crumble into bits.

Your label has a production date in '02. That old can work fine but fail in the next second, the magnets in pump come loose to grind up in the armature, the ethanol has eaten the epoxy that held them in place.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I will be replacing the pump. The sock didn't crumble to my surprise but didn't look great. For the purpose of seeing if the car would even run I put in the old pump for now. I have an access hole cut in the floor and will be getting a new one. Thankfully my top end rebuild was a success. No codes and runs great now that I got rid of the gelled ethanol.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My tank was pretty dang clean with my failing pump. The new pump transformed the car though, well worth it if it is suspect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts