Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2014 Focus SE Hatch for almost a year. Overall, it's fantastic.

Why is it fantastic?

The mpg: Amazing. I got 40 mpg from Tampa to Daytona. Driving like I stole the car, I get an average of 28 mpg.

The space: Amazing. I can fit almost anything in the trunk if I fold the seats down. After 10 months of owning the car, I finally found out that the seats fold flat by lifting the back seat bottoms. I felt like an idiot and have slept in the trunk like three times without folding the seats flat.

The looks: Gorgeous. Every time I get out of the car and walk away, I look back. Every. Time. I love the lines of the car. The color is amazing too.

Seriously, it's amazing. One of my friends told me that it just looks fast.

The engine: Adequate. It's perfect for what the car was designed for. It's efficient and fairly responsive. I know it's not a race car. I threw one of those eBay intakes on it and it sounds amazing. I've hit 120 mph no problem, it just takes a while to get there.

Why is it just awful?

The Dual Clutch Transmission. Oh my god the transmission. "Alright man let's go into second WAIT HOLD ON FOURTH wait NO, THIRD" and then after holding the gas for three seconds, the far finally decides to pick a gear and go, after lots of noise and jerking. Finally after pressing the accelerator, three seconds later the car accelerates. Every time I press the pedal I have to pray that the car will respond. I took it to two different dealerships to swap the TCM software, a few months apart. I took it again to the dealer a few days ago to get my fuel pump finally replaced and TCM reset, and they told me the transmission was within the threshold of awfulness (can't remember their exact words). I'm going to take it to another dealership and have someone ride along with me and show them just how awful the transmission is.

Modifications:

Interior: complete color swap. I used to have the medium light stone, swapped it out for a junkyard SEL interior and bought leather seats on eBay. I wrapped the silver bezels in carbon fiber vinyl and it looks amazing.

The only problem with the seats is the airbag light because the leather seats were pulled out of a totaled focus.

Exterior: replaced the foglight hole delete with real foglight bezels, but plastidipped black. Driver side foglight hole is used for a custom cold air delivery system for my intake. I didn't have foglights from factory and this was the perfect opportunity for cold air.
ST style wing, plastidipped black.
Stock se wheels plastidipped to look like torque thrust-like wheels.

Plastidip, plastidipped to plastidip plastidip.
More plastidip. Above the lower grill and beneath the upper grill, as well as on the chrome whiskers.

Painted lunchbox, exhaust tip, and rear drums with black high temp spraypaint.

Performance: eBay intake with makeshift cold air delivery. I ran some aluminum flexible dryer hose to where the intake is and put a k&n hydrophobic filter cover over the new filter. Sounds mean and got me another 1 or 2 mpgs. I got a Bluetooth obd reader and torque pro on my phone, intake temp dropped from about 135 degrees F with the foglight hole covered to 85 degrees F with open air flow.

Ideas: RS front end. I'm going to design and hopefully produce one this summer for 12-14 focuses. I know maxton makes one and rebel devil sells it, but over $1000 for a bumper is ridiculous. Also the maxton bumper has too small of a grill so the whole thing looks funny.

Diffuser/rear valence. I'm going to make it look like the RS diffuser but with holes for a backup sensor system.

Possible drivetrain swap. I'm thinking either ST powered or making it awd with a wrecked escape drivetrain. I'm also thinking about just trading this car in when I graduate and get an RS.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sounds like u need to talk to Mike with Rebel Devil Customs of ir serious about the ST swap, he's doing his second ST sedan swap currently

2012 Ford Focus SEL "MK3"
2009 Ford Edge Limited
2007 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like u need to talk to Mike with Rebel Devil Customs of ir serious about the ST swap, he's doing his second ST sedan swap currently

2009 Ford Edge Limited

I saw that on their website. They do since pretty cool stuff. I'm probably just going to stick with some more standard mods until I'm done with school. Unless I can find a cheap ST or any Ford 2.0 turbo ecoboost at an LKQ nearby, I'm probably not going to turbo my car. Does anyone know the architecture difference between the ST 2.0 and the N/A 2.0? Similar heads or exhaust manifold bolt pattern or pistons? I know you guys are going to hate me for this question, but does the ecoboost bolt up to the DCT? Just out of curiosity. It'll save me a lot of time and money to keep the tranny if I do swap motors. I have no problem with manuals.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
161 Posts
Wouldn't be worth keeping the dct with the ecoboost imo due to the issues known with it and all but idk

2009 Ford Edge Limited

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Heads are entirely different, the ST one includes the exh. manifold that's liquid cooled as part of the head (for the major difference).

Ford hasn't put a DCT 250 behind an ST engine as it's not rated for the torque, haven't heard of anyone trying to fit it to date.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If your looking for good "starter" mods, do the snorkel delete, drop in intake filter, rear motor mount (e-mount) and rear sway bar. Will give u a lil bit of performance and handling and won't kill ur bank account :)

2009 Ford Edge Limited

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If your looking for good "starter" mods, do the snorkel delete, drop in intake filter, rear motor mount (e-mount) and rear sway bar. Will give u a lil bit of performance and handling and won't kill ur bank account :)

2009 Ford Edge Limited

I've done all those mods besides the sway bar. I put in the fswerks poly insert in the rmm. I'm doing handling upgrades after I make my new bumper.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts