Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Tom,

Just wondering if you have had any experiance with the Powerworks tune. It is notoriously rich. The only place I know of that had the PW tune in SCT format was your friendly rivals over at Focussport, but they wanted "hundreds upon hundreds" of dollars for this base PW tune in SCT format.

They dont even offer that tune anymore (and I wouldnt buy it from them even if they still did....100's of dollars for a tune they just took and made into SCT file??? they didnt even write the damn tune in the first place)...anyway....

All I really need is the stock PW tune in SCT format, then I can get on a dyno and make adjustments myself, otherwise we have to start completely over from scratch. Suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1turbofocus said:
They wanted how much ?

Do you have the PRP now ?

Tom

They never gave me an exact price, but a PM from Randy had (this is an exact quote) "hundreds and hundreds of dollars" in it.

[rolleyes]

I dont see how they would charge that much to put a tune they didnt even write into SCT format. I wouldnt mind paying a little, but, in my opinion, anything over 75-100 bucks for it is too much, unless it is "tuned" to a specific car, which the PW tune is not.

I dont have a PRP, but I do have access to SCT dealer software, I have a friend that is an SCT dealer, but we would have to start from scratch on a tune, so I am trying to find the "stock" powerworks tune in SCT format, so we can keep the dyno time to fine tune it.

Brian.

·
FF Affiliate
31,162 Posts
For you it would pay to get the PRP unless you friend will allow you to use it before you go to the dyno , get the start up and the driveability part dont and the rest (WOT) will fall in line a lot faster.

I charge 150.00 for a FI tune reguardless of whats it for

On ZX3 cars i would recomend getting the chip and flasher on the dyno you can make a change to the chip and be back dynoing in about 20 sec where with the flasher it takes about 8 Min , I can do 3 dyno pulls with making changes to the chip to installing 1 flash this saves a TON on dyno time

Tom

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1turbofocus said:
For you it would pay to get the PRP unless you friend will allow you to use it before you go to the dyno , get the start up and the driveability part dont and the rest (WOT) will fall in line a lot faster.

I charge 150.00 for a FI tune reguardless of whats it for

On ZX3 cars i would recomend getting the chip and flasher on the dyno you can make a change to the chip and be back dynoing in about 20 sec where with the flasher it takes about 8 Min , I can do 3 dyno pulls with making changes to the chip to installing 1 flash this saves a TON on dyno time

Tom
Yeah, we are bringing his laptop to the dyno with us and doing our own (ok, HE will be doing it) tuning. I was just hoping someone would have the base "stock" powerworks tune, no mods to it at all, just like they reflash the ECU. It would save alot of time, because it would be an easy place to start. I dont think the JRSC tune we have for my old setup will be a decent starting point, and we will wind up starting from scratch.

The regular ZX3's only take about 60-75 seconds to reflash the ECU, the SVT's are the ones that take a while to flash, right?

I agree, the PRP would be a great investement, but as long as I have use of the SCT software, it isnt really needed.

The cheapest I have found is $200 for the base PW file, which to me seems awfully high for a tune that is just copied into another format, and not being tweaked in any way.

·
FF Affiliate
31,162 Posts
I dont see why the jrsc tune shouldnt be very close , back down on the timing slightly because the pw moves more air and it should be a good place to start

Tom

·
The Godfather
4,405 Posts
FocusSport was charging that much for people who did NOT purchase the PW kit from them. If you did, i don't believe Randy was charging much if anything.

This might be my ignorance to the SCT product speaking but can you not just grab the information off your ECU after PW has done it's thing to it?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tom:

We were going over the JRSC tune today, it wont even be close, different injectors, 90mm maf (way overkill, i know), different blower size, etc..

Goat:

IIRC focussport was one of the only vendors that was not offering the reduced price (I am pretty sure I checked, but dont remember 100%)
I wish it was that easy to grap the info off the ECU with the SCT software, but its not, however, once you get a base tune in with SCT it is extremely easy to change the parameters.

I still dont get why people want so much for a tune that they didnt even write............not trying to be a smart ass, but I am genuinely curious about this.

·
Registered
862 Posts
We charge 200. Our customers get a discount. Tom if you want the tune I will send it to you in SCT and Diablo. The reason I charge this much is because I can and I am not wasting my time for a couple of dollars to help someone that is not a customer out. That sometimes can be the difference if you buy from a chop shop or a real shop. Our shop rate is higher if you bring your parts to us versus buying them from us.

·
Boost?
2,378 Posts
tom do you have a jrsc tune in sct format of any kind? because im looking for one on an xcal 2

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yel900rr said:
We charge 200. Our customers get a discount. Tom if you want the tune I will send it to you in SCT and Diablo. The reason I charge this much is because I can and I am not wasting my time for a couple of dollars to help someone that is not a customer out. That sometimes can be the difference if you buy from a chop shop or a real shop. Our shop rate is higher if you bring your parts to us versus buying them from us.
I tried to buy my internals from yall when I did my block, but nothing was available from Mcnews at the time...there is not really anything else i need for my motor at this time...

I will, however, be in the market for tranny upgrades (torsen lsd, better clutch) in the near future.........

btw, Hogan, from Dallas Mustang (roush turbo kit, yellow ZX3) says "Hi"

Brian.

·
Registered
842 Posts
has anyone been able to adjust the powerworks tune yet for the svt? It was encrypted or something when i saw tom about it in NC.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts