Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my buddy with a Powerworks SC ZX3 just finished installing a SHM fuel rail at the same time we had his header powder coated and changed his power steering pump. We just got it put back together and it has a miss right off idle. It puffs a little black smoke when it stutters, so it looks/smells like its running a bit rich. Any ideas??

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We are going to try swapping the O2's on his 4-2-1 header to see if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that was my first instinct too... i will double check tomorrow. Im not very familiar with the PW setup, so i will have to do some digging.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'll take a look at the SHM rail, but can you post up a pic of the fuel rail for me to look at? The pic on the SHM site isn't working for some reason ...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

here is a pic of the fuel rail installed with the injector harness out of the way. just so you know we are in the process of getting the right sized bolts :) Do you think it could be the fuel rail? I didnt think that would make a difference.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I can't really tell from the pic where the IPS is ... is it there and do you have it plumbed to the upper intake boost reference nipple?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

the ips is plumbed correctly. We are still looking for vacuum leaks, but have been unsucessful in finding one... im pretty stumped.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got the car back in the shop and it threw a P1406 DPFE Downstream Hose off code. After doing a quick search it seems like the DPFE sensor is a problem spot. We are going to pull the hoses off and check to see if they were damaged during the header re-install. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
538 Posts
did you get any recall work done on your dpfe setup ? You said your buddys car ? what year....my 01 was eating dpfe's like candy for while and it had similar symptoms. no fuel economy, skipping like it's neat in first gear and so on. That's what makes the svt header setup so key, cuz the dpfe plumbing is placed differently. You should get a vaccum pump and pump that b*tch up, that will tell you if you have a leak pretty quick....for the most part anyway. Best of luck and let us know what happens. Did you tighten the egr plumbing to the egr and header ? I think in the powerworks setup they tell you to leave it loose until it's in the hot spot, i could see someone forgetting to finish it out of excitement of winding up the twin screws.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its a 03. We put a new DPFE sensor on it that made it run 10 times worse. You couldnt give it any throttle without it completely dying half the time. I disconnected the battery and tried it again and same thing.

Im not familiar with the powerworks setup. What exactly do you mean about leaving the EGR unscrewed? I have never heard this before. We just put the header back on with the EGR and fired it up.

·
Registered
456 Posts
To line everything up during the PW install it is best to loosen every bolted attachment in the EGR. Once everything is loosely assembled, go back and tighten everything down.

Maybe you have some powdercoat build-up on the header EGR connection keeping everything from sealing properly?

If you want to familiarize yourself with the PW install, you can download the instruction manual at www.powerworks.net in the "In the Garage" section.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Any luck ?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
put the stock fuel rail back on and it runs a lot better... im kind of puzzled why that would be, but ohh well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts