Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the SVT focus has a different powersteering rack than the non-svt focus. It has a different ratio for tighter/sportier steering. My question is has anyone installed a svt rack in a non-svt? Not that it is a necessary mod, unless the stock rack develops problems, just a thought...

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I've never heard of it but I'd imagine you could directly swap one out. I've driven a few non-SVT's and the difference seems minor probably be more trouble than it's worth.

·
Registered
797 Posts
svt rack and pinion

i just swapped everything from an svt into my zx3. i changed the rack and pinion and to me it feels a whole lot more responsive. it takes so much less effort to turn and it responds much quicker. it was a direct bolt in also. the only thing i had to change was the tie rods cause they were bent.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the confirmation. I suspected it would bolt right up, just curious if anyone had done it before. Now if only my rack would fail so I would have the excuse...

·
Registered
797 Posts
i didnt buy an svt cause when i got the car i couldnt afford an svt and there were none around here in lima. i had no credit only being 19 at the time and there was only one bank that would finance me and i went through a dealership to get financed. plus now its my car and i appreciate it that much more. and the fact that it is a sleeper and the only one around here like it makes it that much better. the tranny was going out the automatic was on the third one cause i drive it hard and i got the whole front end of a wrecked svt from the dash forward for a little more than a grand. makes sense if you ask me

·
Banned
143 Posts
^^ fair enough. i was looking to get the st170 (same as ur svt) but they are just so much more expensive. if i could get a cheap busted up doner car that would be great but they're not easy to come by, being such a rare car here.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Actually the regular ZX3 rack steers faster and tighter than the SVT.... but the SVT rack tends to give you better control and is less likely to oversteer.

·
Registered
797 Posts
really?

i thought my svt rack felt better. i dont know if there is a difference between the svt and the st 170 but mine said st170 lhd. anyways im much more happier. i think that may be due to having the extra power and doing away with the automatic

1 - 9 of 9 Posts