Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any links for the wiring schematics or something? I'm trying to wire up my radar detector into the power system but don't want to just start taking off panels to look for a connection I can piggy-back. I have a 10-ft cable but that's not going to be enough to push through the firewall to the battery (which I don't want to do anyway). Thought about lining it to the fuse panel but once again then I'd have to figure out a way to get the wiring down there.

The most helpful thing would be a worker's manual or something that lists how to take off certain panels or which panels hide most of the wiring toward the top of the car.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by all of that. Assuming positive and ground leads run to the mirror that connect for ignition-only? That's completely fine if true. I don't care if the power lead is ignition-only or always-on since the detector shuts itself off with the car (it can sense the engine not running from electrical pulses as well as the lower voltage). Any indication of which lead runs to what?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok took apart the rain-sensing cover and see the leads for the mirror. Looks to be perfect but right now doing power tests on them. The 3 wires I have are Yellow, Black, Red (top to bottom). Assuming the the second and third are ground and positive leads, respectively, what is the first? Is that what you meant by "switched ignition"? The only thing I can imagine is it's sort of like head unit receivers (where you have the 2 power leads but the third is an ignition-sensor wire)...but not sure why that would be used in this type of application.

For reference, I'm not an electrician by any means...so I'm with my dad right now to use his meters and whatnot. He's helping me somewhat (to understand how to measure the lines) but trying to figure out how I should wire it all up. I work at a software company lol I don't know power

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ok took apart the rain-sensing cover and see the leads for the mirror. Looks to be perfect but right now doing power tests on them. The 3 wires I have are Yellow, Black, Red (top to bottom). Assuming the the second and third are ground and positive leads, respectively, what is the first? Is that what you meant by "switched ignition"? The only thing I can imagine is it's sort of like head unit receivers (where you have the 2 power leads but the third is an ignition-sensor wire)...but not sure why that would be used in this type of application.

For reference, I'm not an electrician by any means...so I'm with my dad right now to use his meters and whatnot. He's helping me somewhat (to understand how to measure the lines) but trying to figure out how I should wire it all up. I work at a software company lol I don't know power
I have the Passport 9500i and I will direct wire to a fuse in the fuse box that is only hot when the car is on. Done.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The 3 wires that go to the mirror are for the chromatic function.
This allows the mirror to auto dim at night.

For the auto dimming you only need 2 wires that being a switched or ignition power, and a ground.

The chromatic mirror also uses a third wire which disables the chromatic function when ever you put the car in reverse. When the vehicle is in reverse only, the third wire sends a positive current to this third wire which will tell the mirror to stop auto dimming.

You will now need a simple meter and with the ignition on, in run not the accessory position check for voltage and this will be the hot or positive wire. Assuming the vehicle is in park.

Now place the vehicle in reverse with safety brake on and one of the other 2 wires will also be hot only when the vehicle is in reverse.

And to confirm, switch the meter to the ohms position and the third wire which is ground should be the ground, but I always check to be sure.

I would like to tell you colors of wire but with Ford lately there is absolutely no exact science to their colors. In the old day black was ground, red was hot and yellow was switched hot, this has changed so many times I just use a meter to confirm.

One thing that has stayed the same is your plug the center is 99% the hot wire, with the outside barrel being the ground.

I hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I dont understand why you dont use an "add-a-circuit", found at any auto parts store.. Go to the fuse panel under the glove box on the passenger side, and install it into fuse #85 (see owners manual). That is a switched power supply when the key is turned on. No tapping wires, no mess..simple

·
Registered
198 Posts
I guess the main reason is simplicity and not running wires down the a-pillar and interfering with the side bags. The power and ground are there so why not tap it at the closest junction rather then pulling side covers and covering the side curtain air bag units.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ended up tapping into it and it works flawlessly. Puts out a constant 13.9v with car running or in accessory mode and about 12.5 when not. Great because my detector will go to sleep when it senses lower voltage (smart power function). This is better than running wires down the posts to the fuse panel...try taking off the post covers for yourself and see why. The wire is invisible and only like 6 inches long. Can't even tell it's plugged in from anywhere but the driver seat.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya was strange. On the other end of the connection it was white positive, black ground, red reverse sensor lead. Weird lol but all worked perfectly. So anyone else thinking about wiring up a radar detector or GPS...perfect place if you have power dimming rear view mirror

·
Registered
57 Posts
Glad it works for you, but still not ideal for anybody without a radar that doesn't turn off by itself once low voltage is detected. Radars don't pull much voltage, but having it on all night while the car is off could cause a starting issue in the am...

·
Registered
724 Posts
I wired mine to the connector for the moon roof. It's switched so powers on and off with the ignition. There was even a little notch in the headliner right in front of the overhead console to run the wire through.

Btw, the overhead console pops right out to give access to the wiring.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wired mine to the connector for the moon roof. It's switched so powers on and off with the ignition. There was even a little notch in the headliner right in front of the overhead console to run the wire through.

Btw, the overhead console pops right out to give access to the wiring.
Ya that's the same place the mirror and rain-sensing wipers get their power. It's lined through the same cabling and runs out of that little notch in the headliner. Worked great.

And as for pics I'll grab one with my phone in a minute

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

That's what it looks like. Tried to get an angle so you could see the wiring a bit but it's *just* under the bottom edge of the rear-view mirror and the cabling goes up next to the rain-sensing wiper module (not stuck to it, just bends that way) so you can't really see it very much (mostly all of it is blocked by the mirror). Hidden well, powered well, and looks clean.

Thanks again guys

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the Passport 9500i and I will direct wire to a fuse in the fuse box that is only hot when the car is on. Done.
Titanium12, (or anybody who has done it). What did you connect the ground to? I tried a couple of the bolts near under the glove box, and they aren't doing it...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts