Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night my driver's side window stopped working. It starting making a grinding noise and fell to the bottom. Now, from what I've researched that means the regulator broke. It seems like a cheap fix but I don't want to deal with it right now so I opened up the panel to just prop up the window until I do want to deal with it but it wont go up all the way...there's about a 3 inch gap and for the life of me I can't see what's blocking it from going up further. I was hoping someone here had a similar experience and could give me a reason why it's hung up. I suppose I can just remove the regulator but at that point I might as well just replace it and as I said, I don't want to deal with it right now.

Thanks for taking the time to read/respond.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
My guess would be it's getting caught on the window channels, either the top or bottom is trying to jump out. At least that's been my experience when pushing from the bottom. Pulling from the top tends to work better.

Couple cut to length broom handles/dowels will prop the window up just fine.

As long as you're in there, look at the clips. Could be they broke and the regulator/motor is just fine.

·
Registered
473 Posts
you'll need to lossen the two bolts (one on each side) where the window sits. That way the broken regulator isn't stopping you from pulling the window up. Once up get a flat head and wedge it between window /door panel

·
Registered
17,165 Posts
Cables probably wrapped up in a knot. Loosen both sides of the window clamps that clamp bottom of window and you can do whatever you want with it. Make sure any temporary rig to hold window up is solid, if window falls loose just right into bottom of door it can shatter the glass. You're asking for that driving around like that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, did exactly that, just loosened the window clamps, slid the window up, and secured it in place with a couple sliding glass door locks. Just in case those vibrate loose I padded the bottom of the door frame.

I did notice on one of the clamps there was some sort of plastic pieces falling off (the one that was holding the window from moving up more), so maybe I wont need to replace the regulator, though, the clamps cost $8 and the regulator only costs $50 so it might be worth replacing the whole thing anyway...I'll make that decision in a week or two...come to think of it I probably should have just removed the regulator so I could get a better look at it.

Thanks again for the advice, everyone.

·
Registered
17,165 Posts
Yes the white plastic window 'clip' is what usually brings them down. Look at the green plastic ferrules where cable enters the side pieces, they often fracture when the cable wads up. Wrinkled up cable can easily be straightened like new by using a propane torch on the bent portion while pulling hard on cable to stretch it out straight, heat just enough to barely turn the cable red, let cool for 30 seconds while still tugging on it and cable will straighten out as good as new.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts