Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble finding the problem with my car. I have taken it mechanics, but the car won't repeat the problem. Basically, my will die in the middle of driving, and restart itself. Because it is a manual speed, I can be in fifth gear and the car will just restart itself. I know, it is kinda weird. I never has left me stranded, but It is freakn' me out. Last year I replaced the alternator, and the problem stopped. It is now 10 months later, and the problem is back again. I have tested the alternator, and it is good. I have also replaced the battery, alternator connector, and ignition switch. I replaced all these parts, because people told me that it might fix the problem. One person is convinced it has something to do with the fuel pressure sensor. This part is special order and over $100. Can anyone please give me some advise?

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Check the plastic electrical connector end going into the coil first. The wires can get brittle and cause intermittents. Examine the base of the coil for hairline cracks. Check the electrical connections to the battery posts are clean and secure.

You may be able to tell if it is a fuel starvation issue (car would bog when given more throttle, but subsequently idle OK, electrical systems would be normal) or an electrical failure (jerkiness or stuttering usually, lights may die, gauges may "sweep" from 0 to full) by how the car performs.

Probably time for a new fuel filter anyway - every 25K - though I doubt that's your problem.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Please elaborate on shutting down. Does everything inside the car turn off like the stero? or does the motor just turn off like no spark/fuel.
Also ignition switch please elaborale mechanical or electrical portion?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know for sure if the car is actually fully shutting down. The speedometer, radio, air, and lights remain on. It's just loses power for a few seconds, than I see the security light go on. The security light only goes on when the programed key starts the car. Basically I feel the car lose power, than I look over and just wait for the little red light that is above my hazard button to flash. This all happens with 10 seconds. I replaced the fuel filter when I put the new alternator in. I will check the coil connector. Also , my radio will turn on no matter if the car is off. I thought is was normal, until some people told me it was not. I thought this might be the problem, So i removed the stereo, and the wires were horrible. My bother and I fixed the damaged wires as much as we could. But the very next day, my problem happened again. So much for that theory. The person who owned the car before me really messed up the radio system. Thanks for all the advise:)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Sounds electrical not mechanical. Does not sound like ignition switch either. You've got a tough one there. try running the car and playing with the wire harness to see if you can recreate it.

Don't really know what to tell you. Hard to fix over internet that one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
1. the stock radio will come on without the key being in run or acc. It should come on and say 1 hr or 1 hour. That is normal for the 00-04 Focus.

2. Its not wiring in your acc system IE radio, lights, altanator. If it was you would lose power to your gauges and lights inside the car.

3. Do you have a tach in your car? When the car dies, is the RPMs going completely to zero or just bogging down? If you have no tach there is a way to run a tach in the LCD instead of the ODO.

3. The coil pack would be where I start, the next thing I would move to is the fuel pump and/or the fuel cut off switch. The cut off switch is in the passenger side footwell kick panel.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I am getting this issue also.

happens just randomly for me. Exactly sams symptoms.

Car will essentially shut down and restart, tacho and speedo remain relative, light above HU goes off and on, head unit turns off and on (i have aftermarket), Dash lights up. i have noticed that the oil light is the first light to appear, but all other lights show.

i checked my DTC's but only got a CAT P0420 which is for my cat.

I only started experiencing this issue after i got a reconditioned engine installed with a Jackson racing Supercharger.

Im inclined to check the altenator and also the coil pack. the leads are fine as well as the sparkies as they are new, i got a new battery as well. only other thing i can think of is the injectors maybee?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am getting this issue also.

happens just randomly for me. Exactly sams symptoms.

Car will essentially shut down and restart, tacho and speedo remain relative, light above HU goes off and on, head unit turns off and on (i have aftermarket), Dash lights up. i have noticed that the oil light is the first light to appear, but all other lights show.

i checked my DTC's but only got a CAT P0420 which is for my cat.

I only started experiencing this issue after i got a reconditioned engine installed with a Jackson racing Supercharger.

Im inclined to check the altenator and also the coil pack. the leads are fine as well as the sparkies as they are new, i got a new battery as well. only other thing i can think of is the injectors maybee?
Your issue unlike the OP is electrical. I would check the altenator and the wires that plug into.

·
Registered
520 Posts
i would lean towards a crank sensor before alt but guessing is money wastd sometimes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the help, Which wire harness do you mean exactly? Sorry, I don't work on cars that much, I just normally observe. I do know what the parts look like, because I have worked in a part store for about three years(if that helps) :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts