Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents:

Going to work yesterday and the power trunk release activates (popping my trunk open)...
Get out and close trunk, actuator just pops it open again...
Pulled interior cover off quickly and disabled actuator motor by removing the pigtail (so I didn't fry the fuse)...
Next day I plug pigtail back in, trunk release won't work...
Go to local wrecking yard and obtain used trunk release actuator assembly (and trunk release switch) exchange is quick trunk release works fine...
Bolt everything up, turn key in ignition, trunk pops open...
Curse for twenty minutes, remove pigtail from actuator (so I don't blow fuse on back of fuse panel - great place to put that)...
Changed trunk release switch...
Plug pigtail into actuator release,works fine until you turn ignition key - trunk pops open...
I turned ignition off and pulled out pigtail checked voltage across wires (Grn/Wht, Black, Blk/Org) I have 12 volts across Grn/Wht & Black, I have 12 volts across Blk/Org & Black...
I turned ignition on and checked voltage, I have 11 volts across Grn/Wht & Black, I have 11 volts across Blk/Org & Black...
Not sure why I have the voltage drop (drain on the battery I guess)...
Here's the puzzler...
If I manually close the latch with a screwdriver (and the hatch open) the actuator works properly (ignition on or off)...
If I close the hatch and turn the ignition on the hatch will pop open...
Is there a relay somewhere that is malfunctioning?

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated

Thx

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
That sounds like there is a grounding problem with the trunk lid. Striker pin contacts latch and closes the circuit, trunk opens. Or something like that.

I'm not sure what runs on the trunk lid for wiring but I'd check that stuff and make sure there are no broken wires rubbing on metal.

My best guess anyways.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Even more trunk trouble

I am having additional trunk issues with my 2000 Ford Focus Wagon that seem to be worsening over the last 6 weeks.

My trunk pops open when I apply the brake. I used to be able to start the car with my foot on the brake to work around the issue. Now it pops when I turn the key in the ignition if the brake is applied. I have been driving for the last two days with my trunk flapping open. http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif
[mad]

Even more bizarre is the fact that with the key in the ignition, I can turn on the Fan by pushing the trunk release button on the dash.

Over the last year my cruise control stopped working and I have times that my turn signals stop working until I stop, turn off the car and restart.

There's also this funny smell in the dash that is emitted every time I come to a full stop from high speeds. Smells like a burning vacuum belt. Yuck. http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile_8ball.gif
[8]

Is there a logical explanation for any of this or is my car possessed?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Two things:

First, check this thread for a very likely solution (someone had virtually the same problem, and the solution for that person's problem is posted near the bottom of the thread):

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177074

Next, learn to use the "search" function -- there are SEVERAL posts on the first page with VERY similar problems. Not trying to be a jerk with this suggestion -- I understand that lots of people may not even be aware that there IS a search function, but there is and it works nicely. Just type in a few terms (such as "power trunk release") and see what comes up.

Hope the link I posted helps you solve your problem, though, so you won't even have to resort to further searching -- and welcome to Focus Fanatics!

[thumb]

·
Registered
2017 Focus 1.0 Ecoboost 2003 Focus ZTW
271 Posts
I was having trouble with my rear wiper. When I checked the wires in the hatch they looked just like the picture in that thread. I ran new wires for each one from the hatch to just inside the car under the headliner and all's well. Your burning smell might be a hole in the pcv hose. There are lots of threads on that problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wondering if these problems got solved??? I'm strictly looking for the right combination of wires to activate the hatch release, anyone? Black is obviously ground.. but which activates? Blk/Org or Wht/Grn? This hatch is completely custom and need to figure something out. Thank You

1 - 6 of 6 Posts