Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a couple of weeks back that the tailgate wasn't locking when the remote was used. I followed the suggestions, mechanically everything seems to be fine. The owner's manual was no help. I determined it will lock but I must cycle through the lock process 4 times. That tells me mechanically things are working but electronically there is a problem. Also, the key will unlock the tailgate [1/4 turn to the right] but the lock cylinder does not go to the left to lock it. Is that the way it was designed? Is there a "reset" for the remote locks?

Here is how the remote works presently:
-1 push on remote lock button locks doors, second push sounds horn. Tailgate
does not lock but doors lock
-Second sequence of above, 4 pushes total, locks tailgate.
-Tailgate unlocks with the button specifically for tailgate.
-Tailgate unlocks with the doors, 2nd push of unlock button.

So the only part of this sequence that is wrong is locking the tailgate. How was it designed to work? I expect tailgate to lock with the first push of the lock button on the remote instead of 4 pushes.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
It should lock with the rest of the doors. Is it not latching, or are you just able to push the button on the door under the lip and open it? How does it work with the door lock button on the door?

I don't recall hearing a locking sound from my tailgate, but it does lock with the rest of the doors. I'm having key fob problems right now- I've broken both of mine by dropping keys. Now I have to use the door buttons to lock and unlock, and the key- completely neanderthal.

You might want to try reprogramming the key fob to see if that will solve the problem. There are directions in the How-To Archive above to set your key fob to unlock all the doors with one press, and the same sequence sets it to unlock only the driver's door (factory setting) with one press, and all doors with the second. Going through the process 2x to bring you back to the same setting might fix the problem. I'd also spray some silicone lube or white lithium spray grease on the latch and work it by hand a few times. That might help with any mechanical problems.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tailgate and latch has be lubed, greased etc. It is perfectly aligned, the latch does not drag on the striker. It does not lock with the button on the drivers door. It does release when pushing the nub on the tailgate. Thanks for confirming that it should lock with all the doors using the lock button on the remote. Do you know if the lock cylinder on the tailgate is supposed to lock with the key turned to the left? Mine doesn't turn left, only right to unlock.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Can't help with the Wagon specific questions (don't have access to one today) but I've found on my sedan that despite proper lube/alignment etc. the latch does NOT release completely and consistently especially when using the remote. When it's not released all the way, it won't latch properly either giving me a "door ajar" light even if it's latched well enough to hold....

My sedan solution is to use the "emergency release" to fully open the latch B4 closing the trunk, if the wagon doesn't have one I'd suggest the screwdriver in the latch trick (substitute latch pin) to try moving it to full open B4 closing it JUST for checking if you have the same issue. It's a quick check, and the mechanism MAY be similar enough to have the same issue....

Luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts