Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Ford Focus SE ZX5 SPI

I know I’m probably answering my own question here, but I’ve been getting the voltage warning light and dash lights dim/brighten no matter if I’m driving or idling. It comes on and STAYS on until the car is shut off.

I previously noticed the tensioner is likely bad, as the car starts with a squeaky belt and the belt never stops squeaking. Its faint but its there. Damp days, forget about it because it will squeak forever. Belt is in good shape so…Bam, obviously the tensioner. Right?

Previous owner put a new alternator and battery in it right before I got it. Belt looks like it may have been replaced around the same time.

Is my tensioner allowing this voltage drop?

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,378 Posts
"...and the belt never stops squeaking"
If your belt is constantly slipping, then I would address that before anything else. BTW, I tried an aftermarket tensioner (Gates) and I still had a chirping belt when A/C engaged. I had to go back to a Ford tensioner.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I solved it...Alternator was installed incorrectly. Power terminal was cross threaded and the spade was jiggling around zapping away all the metal around it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts