Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so after driving my mom's Toyota Avalon and my girlfriend's Honda Accord, I'm starting to think there might be a problem with my power steering. The steering wheels in both my mom's and girlfriend's cars feel so light as if you the front wheels are not even touching the ground.

In my focus well it's easy to turn the wheel but there is some effort in volved. I somewhat like the feel of it, it feels much more stable at higher speeds, but at the same time I'd like to have that feeling of driving on a cloud.

I thought it might be a luxury thing since my mom's Avalon is the Platnum edition, and I drove my friend's Lexus RX and IS and those were better than the Avalon too. But my girlfriend has a 95 accord not really a luxury car and its not in great condition so this got me thinking something is wrong.

I've checked the fluid, and my tire pressure everything is fine... What could the problem be or are all Focus like this?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Are you force turning it at all? two things come to mind. 1. Ford power steering has always been a problem, either noise or going out. 2. i think it may just be the focus. I dorve a 96 buick Le Sabre for a while...(i know i know) and yea come to think of it it turned a little easier. so I think you may be OK

Mouse

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is there anything or some type of preformance steering fluid to use?

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Yup I agree, FORD and POWER STEERING = iffy..... I know my focus, before I traded it in was leaking PS fluid from the pump, needed to be replaced also and I baby'd the car all the time.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
I don't think there is anything wrong with your car. The Focus has a heavier steering rack than most cars; it allows you to feel more connected to the road, and have better control.

Those other cars, no offense, are made for people who commute, and don't drive. Older people and boring people that don't want to feel anything, and just want a couch. I know, because my Buick is like that. One finger steering. Nice for commuting, but you loose so much information. With the Focus, you feel as part of the car.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^ well the second car i had was a 96 explorer and that had great power steering

maybe they had to juice it up because of all the weight.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
It's all what the designers want. Generally speaking, high boost power steering takes away a lot of the road feel and is reserved for "Old People's cars," not Sporty cars.

In fact, on the BMW Z4, if you pay extra for the "Sport Package," one of the components of the package is a button which, when pressed, reduces the boost provided by the power steering to provide a more "Sporty" feel (more effort) to the steering.

Basically, the Focus has been designed to "focus" more on the sport aspect, including good handling, rather than the luxobarge Lincoln Town Car aspect.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yeah, its just the way the focus is. I have a 2.3l zx3, and have driven a ZXW. They both felt the same. Other fords I have driven (almost all of them) have lighter steering, with the exception of the mustang and my dad's super-duty. It's a luxury thing really. Two recent fords i have driven (an 03 taurus ses and limited expedition) have steering so light that its almost scary to drive! Your Focus is completely fine dude, but I can see why you might be a little nervous, anything that could possibly happen to a car, I have thought has happened to me.....but it hasn't....I'm just anal about my fofo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts