Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
253 000km now with the clutch pack replacement done. I started getting a power steering assist warning a few months back, ingnored it a few times and just turned the car off and back on and it was ready to drive. After a day of the first warning i started getting signs of it actually not working, it would be incredibly stiff to turn the wheel and would bind when driving in a straight line if not jiggling the wheel left to right! After that it was parked, started up every 2 weeks and it was the same stiff wheel, it has now been around 7 weeks and im needing to move the car for street cleaning, start it up and get the same error message, i go to turn the wheel and its dead stuck, i cant move it for the life of me (i may have pulled on it too hard as it seems to make a little more noise now lol) i tried turning the car on and off to no avail as well as disconnecting the battery for couple of minutes and no difference.
I was going to replace the electric steering rack assembly in hopes of fixing this issue somewhat cheaply but not sure if that would do it as i am reading there are a few sensors that could go bad as well....

What do you guys think?

Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
93 Posts
253 000km now with the clutch pack replacement done. I started getting a power steering assist warning a few months back, ingnored it a few times and just turned the car off and back on and it was ready to drive. After a day of the first warning i started getting signs of it actually not working, it would be incredibly stiff to turn the wheel and would bind when driving in a straight line if not jiggling the wheel left to right! After that it was parked, started up every 2 weeks and it was the same stiff wheel, it has now been around 7 weeks and im needing to move the car for street cleaning, start it up and get the same error message, i go to turn the wheel and its dead stuck, i cant move it for the life of me (i may have pulled on it too hard as it seems to make a little more noise now lol) i tried turning the car on and off to no avail as well as disconnecting the battery for couple of minutes and no difference.
I was going to replace the electric steering rack assembly in hopes of fixing this issue somewhat cheaply but not sure if that would do it as i am reading there are a few sensors that could go bad as well....

What do you guys think?

Has anyone else experienced this?
to fix that you have to replace the entire staring system. it coast us little over 2k to fix when the power steering went out. the only cheap way to do it is buy the new rebuilt steering assembly off ebay or some thing. its not cheap to fix. yours semse to be binding some where. mine the power steering just went out. you should be able to turn it with difficulty be it should be able to be turns even with out power steering. easiest when moving.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My power steering went out at first, after being parked for almost 2 months its now seized, i think it could be that the electric assist motor on the rack could be seized up not allowing any movement.
I can find replacement racks for around $150Ca with around 40k km on them, considering i wont be towing it to a dealer this will most likely be my first step, it should be easier to see what is binding while doing this if its not the rack itself

·
Registered
15,421 Posts
Switched to Nissan cars a while back but still have the Fords, and comparing. Ford apparently builds CV axles so much better than Nissan it's not funny, they routinely go easily double the life. Yet Nissan puts its' electric assist PS motor up on the steering COLUMN, and has virtually zero PS problems.

????????????

Somebody should force all these f-ckers to work together.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Switched to Nissan cars a while back but still have the Fords, and comparing. Ford apparently builds CV axles so much better than Nissan it's not funny, they routinely go easily double the life. Yet Nissan puts its' electric assist PS motor up on the steering COLUMN, and has virtually zero PS problems.

????????????

i like honda my self my first car was a 86 honda accord. body was shot had high millage but ran and drove like a dream lol.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts

????????????

Ford put the motor in the column on the Escape for at least a few years. I believe that's where it's located on the Fiesta as well.

GM has also used a column located motor, and has had issues with it in the past.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts