Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my car started making a whining noise from under the hood. It sounds to be coming from the right side near the pulley system. Is it possible that it can be my power steering pump? The fluid levels were checked and they seemed to be fine, Although it does have a rack and pinion that i was going to get replaced soon, just waiting for funds to accumulate. The steering was a little harder than usual but this was due to the bad rack and pinion. Also, small amounts of power steering fluid was leaking from the bottom before the whining noise (rack and pinion?).The noise gets the loudest right before it shifts into id say 2nd gear(automatic car), or when i rev it when it's in park you can really hear the whiny noise. Is that enough evidence to say that the power steering pump has gone bad?

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Whiny noises sound more like an idler or tensioner pulley instead. PS pumps typically groan, make hellish rattling noises, or the steering simply goes completely hard because it stops working. I'm not saying I'm 100% on that because it is possible it could fail like that, but for now I'd assume it's something else. You might want to try removing the serpentine belt and spinning the idler and tensioner. If one is bad you'll feel that it wobbles side to side, and it will be sort of lumpy when rotating. Also check the alternator- it should rotate freely and easily. If all those check out, then yes, you might need a power steering pump.

Have you ever changed the PS fluid?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah it's a possibilty.and you know what? i was hearing some weird noise before but it wasn't too loud.It could be the tensioner.maybe it had started already but it finally went out? hmm,ill get it checked out by a mechanic

1 - 3 of 3 Posts